PZL.37

AlexM

Currently, I use HIPS Extrafil "Natural" from Filamentum. It is polystyrene, and can be glued with normal modelling glue like Revell Contacta. I tried other HIPS materials from other brands. Others are softer, and easier to sand smoth after printing. But those softer filamenst tend to stress crackings with higher objects while cooling down, probably due to shrinkage. With the Filamentum material, I have no real problems with shrinkage so far. The most difficult part for me is to persuade the material to stick on the printing plate. Therefore, I use a special foil (BuildTak). Check out "our" thread about 3d printing :) .

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=70571

Cheers

Alex

So, after some coats of Mr. Surfacer and subsequently sanding, the fuselage surface started to look smooth. But then, I somehow managed that the fuselage fell to the ground, and the forwart part in front of the cockpit area broke apart into four pieces :BANGHEAD2:

I was able to glue the parts back on the fuselage, and puttied the seams.

2vmicYd.jpg

In the meantime, I started to print some parts of the wings. The recess is for the bomb bay. It took some trimming to fit, and I got some warping at the edges, but hopefully this should be easy to handle with putty and sanding.

0tR2sMj.jpg

MQfTPXv.jpg

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I just received this book, which should be very helpfull:

FzzkEEd.jpg

One mystery about the PZL.37 is the dihedral of the wings, since many original construction plans apparently were destroyed during the war. On many plans including the plan in the book, the wings show a noticable dihedral from the engines outwards. Photos of the real thing are hard to interprete. On other plans including the plan of the paper model, the upper line of the wings is totally straight in the front view.

noUovKz.jpg

Here is a apparently restored manual showing a straight upper line of the wings in the front fiew, too.

In the book I bought, there is a photo of the real aircraft from the front during construction, which also shows a pretty straight upper line of the wings. Therefore, the wings of my model will have a straight horizontal upper contour, but I'm totally aware that this might be wrong. As soon as the wings got a nice smooth surface (Mr. Surfacer, sanding, Mr. Surfacer, sanding, ...), I'll post some pictures.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks a lot, guys.

Damn, that is cool!! You're really making me want that printer even more!

If you made molds of the parts, you could sell copies and pay off the printer fast.

Is there a chance for serial production?

Florin

That would be cool, but is rather unlikely. Maybe If I would start to play the lottery, win a huge jackpot, and were no more dependet to my fulltime job. Until then, I find hardly enough time to finish anything :doh:

In the meantime, I sprayed some more filler on the model, and the ugly seams where the front fuselage broke apart are no more visible.

NZtnor8.jpg

And I printed the vacuform mould for the canopy. It still needs some coats of "future" to make it smoother.

xMtH3Tz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, time for a little update. The nacelles are separate parts, that will later be glued onthe wings. The lower parts got cut-outs for the landing gear.

V108Jnk.jpg

kzNWfyr.jpg

rusNBbI.jpg

In the meantime, the fuselage was separated into two parts to start interior detailing. The inner surface has recesses where the individual frames now get glued on (I already started at the rear).

G8WWp5Z.png

A14RBj1.jpg

Cheers

Alex