WNW RE.8 (Holy Thread Revival Batman!)

MikeC

• 1 month later...

I have to confess that I've not done much to this since my last update above, but having a spare 20 minutes I've just fixed the links following the problems with Postimage.org-or-whatever.

• 2 months later...

I'm afraid I got distracted by other things, such as a Revell Hunter, so apart from drilling the rigging holes I've not done much at all. So I don't think I'll finish it by tonight!!

Can I ask someone to move it to WIP please? I promise I'll do some more soon.

Mike, don't forget you've got another month for this one, as we extended it a while back to the end of July.

Kev

Thanks Kev; I had forgotten that :doh: .  I'll crack on, but it's quite possible I'll be copy-and-pasting my last post in a month's time.  :)

• 4 months later...

So I've just finished an Italeri RF-104G (for a mag, so sorry, no pics), and before I start on the TF-104, I thought a change of pace was needed.  So the RE.8 is back on the bench.  Pics when I've got something worth showing. Currently masking and about to open a can of worms sorry that should read a pot of PC10.

Well I opened that pot of PC10 (actually the mix of Tamiya XF62 and XF10 as recommended by WNW); I also opened a pot of white to spray the rudder before I got going on the PC10; mixed up the white and loaded it into my trusty airbrush ...

and my compressor said :notworking:  !!!  I said "Oh dear, that is unfortunate" - well, that was the gist of it, if not the actual words :whistle:.   I suppose it was over 12 years old, but it was OK a couple of days before. 

Downsides: RE.8 delayed; had to clean the brush without being able to flush it through; forking out for a new compressor at this time of year - there goes next year's modelling budget already!

Looking on the bright side: new, hopefully quieter,  compressor on the way, and I've done a few other modelling things that didn't need an airbrush.

Please watch this space, the RE.8 will be back!

Thanks Andy.

Iwata Power Jet Pro.  It's a nice neat shape, quite quiet, has a more than adequate pressure range, and a "cut-off" so it gets up to pressure, and then only cuts in when you press the a/b trigger.

And reading the documentation, I discovered that the UK base of Anest-Iwata is on an industrial estate in the same town as me.  So if it ever goes wrong I know where to go for a grumble. ;)

Starting to get the decals on - for me this is where a model really comes to life.  I'm using the Pheon sheet, for an aircraft of 5 Sqn.

WP-20181208-13-37-09-Pro.jpg

I think I may have a bit of repair to do on that rudder striping.  I'm using the Pheon stripes, so if the colours match I can take a suitable patch from the kit sheet.  If not, :hmmm:

WP-20181208-13-37-37-Pro.jpg

Thanks for looking.

As that well-known sage and philosopher Anon once said: "Do not be afraid of moving slowly. Be afraid only of standing still." And while progress on the RE.8 is slow, there has been some of late. Lots of details like adding the forward Vickers and its interrupter gear; windscreen; building the Scarff ring; painting the leather surrounds on the pilot's step and control cable exits; and other odds and ends. Today's plan: main interplane struts and rig the rudder, elevator and tailskid control cables.

WP-20190514-14-29-14-Pro.jpg

WP-20190515-16-10-22-Pro.jpg

WP-20190515-16-10-50-Pro.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by MikeC