Resin2detail 1/32 B26 Marauder

phantom

As one example here is a WIP string for RB's Ohka, and the constant pitfalls the builder ran into on this very website for what should have been a much simpler build then a 1/32 B-26:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=69963&hl=ohka

Did you actually even READ my WIP on Radus Ohka?!??

Have you ever even built a resin kit before?

Apparently not. Its a WONDERFUL little kit.

It's resin. They do NOT build like IM kits, and you need to have some average modelling skills to complete one. There is going to be sanding and smoothing beyond what is required for any IM kit.

As to resin being "ok for details but not for large parts", well that is just blatently false.

Maybe he was taking about HIS resin not being suitable for large parts, but the resin that HpH, SilverWings, FM&P and the like uses is VERY suited to large parts.

Anyone that thinks resin is not good for major parts is:

- telling you an outright lie

- has never built a quality resin kit

- knows absolutely 0 about higher end modeling

- a first time, or very inexperienced builder

- speaking of a specific resin

- ignorant if the facts about resin

Or all of the above.

The Ohka was a very nice little kit and I'd recommend it to anyone who had never built a resin kit, with the caviot of having a small pep talk first.

I'd also recommend getting the facts straight before downing a kit or medium as a whole that you obviously know nothing about.

I have very little experience with resin parts, but I built a 1/72 Pavla (Octopus) Kingfisher that had a plastic shell, but every detail had the be scratched or use the included bag of resin parts. The resin was crap, it was very brittle and kept breaking on all the little parts. If felt as if I was whittling it out of saltine crackers! After months of wrestling with crappy brittle resin, vac canopy, brass parts, wire, PE, and lots of scratch styrene parts, I finished it. And it was a beautiful finished work. But I swore off any more resin for good. I vowed never to buy a resin kit. I'm not even going to talk about the AML Mabel I started to put together and gave up.

Fast forward a few months, building my Revell 109G6, I figured a pair of resin gun barrels would not kill me, I added them, no issues. Then again, my Ki-84 Frank desperately needed hollowed exhaust, so I again bought more Quickboost parts. The fit of these parts was identical the the Hasegawa parts they replaced.

Then on a whim a couple weeks ago, I bought a Fisher Model & Pattern F9F-8 Cougar. Last Thursday I took a break and opened the kit up and decided washing all the resin in prep for painting was a good opportunity to get to know it. Wow! I was so impressed as how clean and nearly perfect the big airframe parts were, the wing and fuselage fit together beatifully, and will only need a little filler, there is a small surface blemish that will require a little filler along the back edge of the wing, but very minor. As i started going the the little parts, wow, again, beautiful shape, detail, most of the parts in this kit seem to be ready to paint, some only require a quick swipe with a sanding stick. Yes, there are some pour stubs that need a little trimming, and some of the small parts need to be removed from the pour blocks themselves. But I observed it's a trade off, you have one surface to clean on a perfectly cast resin wheel and tire, whereas most plastic wheel and tire assemblies have 4-6 parts, that need to be cut from sprues, sprue gates trimmed or sanded, glued together, then cleaned and sanded, possibly some filler...wait...I can sand and prime and have the resin part painted long before the plastic part is done. It's plainly obvious that you cast cast extremely detailed resign parts that can't be reproduced by plastic. (Wingnut excepted, I think they used magical Elven blood in their styrene to get the detail.)

I admit, I was prejudiced against resin from experiences with “old†resin. Fisher has changed my mind, I actually anticipate this will be an extremely quick build, I see very little trimming, sanding, and filling required. The weight and feel of these parts is nothing like the nasty yellow old resin I am used to. I am glad I tried something new.

I read the WIP on the Ohka, and I could not find anything wrong with it, it looked like a great build.

Edited by 1to1scale

It does not look like FlakBait can be done, the CAD indicated more a B-26A or B, seems to have short wings and certainly an earlier cowling design.

Hmmm,

Not knowing a whole lot about the B-26, I'd say thats probably going to be bit of a disappointment for a lot of folks. I know that was always my favorite Marauder.

So then ... either a Marauder Mk.I or Mk.Ia ... 

... and yes, While I know Wikipedia is not the best accurate source of info ... I find the typical serviceman's laconic humour amusing:

"Indeed, the regularity of crashes by pilots training at MacDill Field — up to 15 in one 30-day period — led to the exaggerated catchphrase, "One a day in Tampa Bay."[14] Apart from accidents occurring over land, 13 Marauders ditched in Tampa Bay in the 14 months between the first airplane on 5 August 1942 to the final one on 8 October 1943.[14]

B-26 crews gave the aircraft the nickname "Widowmaker".[7] Other colorful nicknames included "Martin Murderer", "Flying Coffin", "B-Dash-Crash", "Flying Prostitute" (so-named because it was so fast and had "no visible means of support," referring to its small wings) and "Baltimore Whore" (a reference to the city where Martin was based).[15]"

Personally I'd probably prefer a Douglas A-26 Invader!!

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Guest Peterpools

I'm a huge fan of Paul Fisher's kits and the customer service is top notch.

The center piece of my display case:

The Fisher Sea Fury

JgKKJ6.jpg

RvZIeV.jpg

Peter

It does not look like FlakBait can be done, the CAD indicated more a B-26A or B, seems to have short wings and certainly an earlier cowling design.

Flak Bait is a B-26B-25. She's currently in the UH facility and is most likely undergoing restoration. I'm not that familiar with the Martin marauder so if the kit has the short wings, it's definitely an earlier block than ole flak bait.

Not much need for FlaK, reading the nicknames given by crews ... some very funny indeed!!  :rofl:

... and yes, I know Wikipedia is not the best accurate source of info ...

"Indeed, the regularity of crashes by pilots training at MacDill Field — up to 15 in one 30-day period — led to the exaggerated catchphrase, "One a day in Tampa Bay."[14] Apart from accidents occurring over land, 13 Marauders ditched in Tampa Bay in the 14 months between the first airplane on 5 August 1942 to the final one on 8 October 1943.[14]

B-26 crews gave the aircraft the nickname "Widowmaker".[7] Other colorful nicknames included "Martin Murderer", "Flying Coffin", "B-Dash-Crash", "Flying Prostitute" (so-named because it was so fast and had "no visible means of support," referring to its small wings) and "Baltimore Whore" (a reference to the city where Martin was based).[15]"

So ... it's low combat loss record seems to be because there were so few that actually made it to combat!?!

All it took to stop those rumors was a visit by Gen. Doolittle. After doing just what "They said" the Plane would not do (fly, turn, land) with one engine out, the training sequence was improved. Those early pilot's didn't get the proper transition from single engine to twin. B-26 Marauder was a Fast and Effective Bomber in WWII.

The Vertical is the "Tall Tail", Bell electric tail turret, split flaps,,,She is definitely a B-10 or later, or a C model.  You can do Flak Bait with this kit

Hmmm,

Not knowing a whole lot about the B-26, I'd say thats probably going to be bit of a disappointment for a lot of folks. I know that was always my favorite Marauder.

Flak Bait can be done with this kit

Not much need for FlaK, reading the nicknames given by crews ... some very funny indeed!!  :rofl:

... and yes, I know Wikipedia is not the best accurate source of info ...

So ... it's low combat loss record seems to be because there were so few that actually made it to combat!?!

Well Rog, Considering the Marauders were flown in combat in the ETO by 9 USAAF Groups (36 squadrons) 6 Free-French Squadrons. MTO by5 South African Squadrons, 2 RAF Squadrons, 3 USAAF Groups (12 squadrons)  Pacific were 2 Groups (3 squadrons) 2 Independent squadrons (69th & 70th) and 2 Squadrons in Alaska......My father flew 65 missions as a pilot in the ETO from England and France, flying sometimes 2 or 3 missions a day...

So two companies are working on a resin B-26, it´s also planned by HpH.

I haven't seen HpH announcement....when is it do out?

Edited by marauderdriver

All it took to stop those rumors was a visit by Gen. Doolittle. After doing just what "They said" the Plane would not do (fly, turn, land) with one engine out, the training sequence was improved. Those early pilot's didn't get the proper transition from single engine to twin. B-26 Marauder was a Fast and Effective Bomber in WWII.

As I said ... Wikipedia is probably not the best source of info - I just found the typical, sarcastic labels given by the operators/crews to be funny ... and I'm quite sure it was effective - otherwise it it wouldn't have remained in service for as long as it did.

... Please don't insult the men who rode these machines into combat with your uninformed statement ...

... No-one was insulting anyone - just having a little fun with the thread ... Like the quotes given by the crews in my post - you really need to engage a sense of humour!

Edited by Artful69

The crew quotes are from people who flew the airplane.  Less than 1% loss rate is a great source of pride to those

who crewed an airplane that demanded their complete attention to learn to fly, much less in combat.

My dad watched 18 crewmen (3 from his original crew) die in a 3 ship collision during form-up for a combat mission.

I'm named for 2 that were named Jack.

Edited by marauderdriver