B-25J Betty's Dream(ing) of a French Kiss

BloorwestSiR

Guys, you're right. It should be natural metal. I guess that's what happens when you look at warbird photos instead of wartime ones.

Which means time for Plan B. I'll stick this bay into my other kit which IS a warbird and swipe that bay for this kit. That'll be easier than trying to strip the paint off.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Brilliant work in adding all the PE - looks absolutely fantastic and well worh the time and cost.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

On pg 624 of the manual (pg 660 of the reader) here:

http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/northamericanaviation/b-25mitchell/na-5785-temporary-handbook-of-erection-and-maintenance-instructions-for-the-b-25-h-1-na.html

on the B-25H tells what gets painted and which colour.

Jari

Jari, thanks for the link. The annoying thing is I have a paint chart in one of my reference books but didn't notice it until after you posted the link.

Carl

Guys, you're right. It should be natural metal. I guess that's what happens when you look at warbird photos instead of wartime ones.

Which means time for Plan B. I'll stick this bay into my other kit which IS a warbird and swipe that bay for this kit. That'll be easier than trying to strip the paint off.

Carl

Great idea!  That is a good save right there Carl. Now you not only have a completed BB for your other build, but dont have to worry about removing any paint from this one.    Nice save! 

I have a question about this kit: they have a clear edition, which I thought would be a cool way of demonstrating a bunch of interior detail, perhaps even with some crew figures for an in flight display. Is it possible to build the bombay with one of those sidewalls left off, so you could see through the clear fuselage half to the detailed bomb bay inside? Or is the box structure of the bay integral to the structure of the build?

I have a question about this kit: they have a clear edition, which I thought would be a cool way of demonstrating a bunch of interior detail, perhaps even with some crew figures for an in flight display. Is it possible to build the bombay with one of those sidewalls left off, so you could see through the clear fuselage half to the detailed bomb bay inside? Or is the box structure of the bay integral to the structure of the build?

The bomb-bay gets inserted to the fuselage as a whole unit, and there is considerable space left around it to allow the sidewalls to fit into the fuse. Im thinking you may be able to leave one sidewall off without too much trouble, but it may take some fetteling. IIRC the clear plastic is also pretty brittle comparatively speaking to the normal plastic, so just be careful with it. 

Great idea! That is a good save right there Carl. Now you not only have a completed BB for your other build, but dont have to worry about removing any paint from this one. Nice save!

It made the most sense to me after seeing my error. Plus now I've got a head start on my second B-25. :P

You should be able to leave one side of the bomb bay off. There is a recess for it in the fuselage side but as long as that part of the clear fuselage is smooth, it should work. I would definitely glue it into the other side though to make sure it's suitably anchored in place.