B-25J Betty's Dream(ing) of a French Kiss

BloorwestSiR

Time for a short update. It's definitely been more challenging than I thought with my finger in a splint. I think the extra bulk of it forces me to be more mindful of it.

I finished gluing on the replacement nonslip flooring onto the rear bit. 

DSC_0179-L.jpg

This was then installed in the fuselage and given a light weathering to match the waist section. 

DSC_0214-L.jpg

Next up, I installed the nav's seat back and some of the black boxes in his section. 

DSC_0213-L.jpg

So I made it through week 2 of Daddy day care and it was a scorcher! At least there are splash pads around for the boys to play in and keep cool. 

This meant I had a bit of time to get more done.  First up was painting all the exhaust pipes and are there a lot of them. 

DSC_0217-L.jpg

I used Gunze Burnt Iron for these. Then it was onto final assembly and I now have two pairs of engines ready to go. 

DSC_0215-L.jpg

I then installed the Eduard flap details to the one set of cowl frames. These were then painted using Tamiya lacquer silver. 

DSC_0219-L.jpg

Finally the engines were installed. To get a solid joint, I put the cowls in a small measuring cup and then placed a paint bottle on top. This way the prop shaft had enough clearance. 

DSC_0220-L.jpg

Here's the finished result. 

DSC_0221-L.jpg

Now off to the LHS as my oldest wants to go and get a model! :thumbsup:

Carl

Having gotten distracted by the idea of a Tse Tse Mosquito (Oh look,  SHINY!!!), I haven't got as much work done on this as I guess I could have. But I have got a few things done. 

First up, the engines are all now complete with the installation of the individual exhaust pipes. 

DSC_0255-L.jpg

That was fun trying to align them as you go.  I ended up using the cowl panels as a guidr. I'd install two pairs of pipes, then slide into place the cowl cover panel and make sure they were in the right spot. Then the panel would be slid off.  Since each panel is numbered differently, I wrote their part number on the outside in pencil on all seven. 

Next up was the nacelles. I finished the second pair of those along with hollowing out the intakes. 

DSC_0257-L.jpg

DSC_0256-L.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some more done soon. 

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR
Typo

1 minute ago, harvey said:

I like what I see buddy ! Did you get ahold of Harold ?.....Harv:popcorn:

Thanks Harv! 

I did get a hold of Harold for the Tse Tse conversion bits and he was really encouraging so I'm going to keep at that as well. It's a nice distraction from this provided I can keep the parts from getting mixed up. 

Carl

Back to the B-25 finally, even if it's a short update. 

One of the reasons for working on all the other stuff has been my trepidation around the waist guns. There are a couple very prominent cables that help support the guns. Its been a challenge to figure out what to use for these. My first thought was EZ line since the stretch would keep the lines taut but I couldn't get them to work. Definitely operator error but they were just too fiddly. So I've ended up using 0.25mm wire for this. 

IMG_20180726_110743-L.jpg

To get the right length, I had to dry fit the .50 Cal guns. Which meant the windows had to be installed. So I've painted the frames green and put those in place. 

IMG_20180726_213535-L.jpg

IMG_20180726_213515-L.jpg

I also masked them off from the outside. 

Here are the waist guns painted and with the Master barrels installed. 

IMG_20180726_213555-L.jpg

I should have them installed soon .

The last thing I worked on was the upper turret ammo feed. HK molds the ejection chutes but not the feed belts. I made these from Eduard resin 0.50 ammo belts. I heated them in hot water and then bent them to shape. I also cut a small trough in the top of the ammo boxes for the belts to have a place to exit from. 

IMG_20180726_120016-L.jpg

Carl