Herringbone Gotha - Back on the go!

seiran01

Turns out I can't live with that spine seam - upon closer inspection it was raised not recessed. Maybe the putty I used hadn't fully cured when I hit it with the hair dryer? Scraped/sanded down and will be repainted!

zHLGgXE.jpg?1

Tail also done with Pheon's "alternate" Gotha logos. WNW logo on the right for comparison which is the standard logo, although photos do exist of this green logo as well, smaller and with a castle on it.  The rudder was painted with MRP white with a hint of blue added. This is my new "Gotha white-blue mix" that will also go as the underside of the top wing. Decals applied, and a border masked around once the decals had set. and the full rudder overpainted in Marking Blue. These green Gotha decals are printed without white backing and need the Gotha base color to complete it - I rather like how they look :)

jFAqCUA.jpg?1

• 1 month later...

tap tap tap... is this thing on? Finally I get to brush the dust off this thread after a month with no time to really work on the monster until today!

I decided to do the engine cowls fully closed up, and you'll notice in the photo below that only the rear of the engines are stained/weathered. Conveniently not much can be seen through the opening at the back, and even less through the top once the exhausts are attached, so the dirtied-up areas are sufficient.  Figured while I was at it today that I'd try the black basing preshade that folks seem to be swearing by also.

The one gloss black cowl panel is prepped for aviattic painted night bomber lozenge.

rJKgK5R.jpg?1

DifhaNC.jpg?1

bJR9nIE.jpg?1

One of the REXX exhaust, mid-prep. Each one had a large discoloration on top which is part of the process used to make these hollow metal beauties, but it made them look too uneven to my eyes. To tone that down, I lightly sprayed each with alclad exhaust manifold (directly onto the part without a primer). Looks much better and I'll add a bit of additional paint or powders to it to finish the look. 

With an exhaust assembly so large, I'd say it's reasonable to take a few visible dents, so a-denting I went. This was simply tapping repeatedly with the heavy back end of a 2mm hobby chisel. Loving this look!

RX6CO9c.jpg?1

Mike:  Good to see you back on the bench and great idea on the exhaust - looks terrific and not overdone. 

I hear you on the open/closed cowlings.  As nice as it is to show off good work, sometimes its just a PITA too.

I'm interested to see how your black-basing technique works out.  :popcorn:   I've seen Wolf do it but for some reason I've gravitated to white-basing instead, for a faded effect.  

Chris

Mike,

Holy cow this thread sure makes me wish I had held on to my Gotha! Very impressive works my friend and I'm looking forward to the next update.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Quick progress update - my "replacement" engine panel decal is setting (Aviattic 4-color painted loz) and placed in position, it already looks like the exact look I was going for. Once the decal is fully dry I'll clean up the edges and add oil staining and chipping over the fasteners, louvers, and around the edges.  

W9TXexn.jpg?1

Had enough Aviattic bomber loz left over to completely cover one lower wing of the Gotha - here we are half way done! This is intended to appear as though it's a replacement part from another airframe (original wing busted hitting something on landing?) and will be dirtied up much heavier than the rest of the airframe which is being built to appear relatively freshly painted.

Kvpah47.jpg