Tamiya Mosquito FB VI - 3/22 - Figure painting completed

Bstarr3

I don't think anyone has ever called anything I've done "sublime" before, so thanks for that first.

I wasn't really paying much attention to how much time I had in at first but I went back and tried to roughly estimate. I'd say I'm in about 15-17 hours at this point.

Another couple hours at the bench last night. Not many pictures to share, but a major milestone has been passed in the construction of this plane!

Painted up and installed the gunsight.  I bent the PE over a brush handle - seemed just about perfect. I don't know why, but I always love these things.  Such a cool piece of analog tech. 

20180103_233920.jpg

And, fuselage assembled!

20180103_233729.jpg

My little Tamiya stand is perfect for 1/48 scale, but I'm obviously about to need a bigger stand/jig for this monster.  Does anyone have a recommended brand.  A lot of people seem to have the wooden one from pictures.  Is that JH? And there also seems to be a clear acrylic one?

A construction question: I seem to have a hard time doing this "welding" technique of joining large parts.  I use the Touch n Flow, working on sections at a time, but on most of the seam I'm not able to get that nice little ooze of soft plastic coming up to fill the seam.  I don't know if this means the weld is not good, but I do know that it usually leaves me with a seamline to fill.  Any suggestions for making this go better? I feel like maybe the glue isn't getting down into the join enough, because the parts come together so well already.  

And another construction question for people who have done this kit, or are fluent in Tamiya instructions: what are they asking me to do here?

20180103_234021.jpg

Thanks for all the help, advice, and encouragement.  This is a really fun build.  One of my favorite parts of a Tamiya kit is all the neat little engineering tricks you notice during assembly.  I just love seeing the little jigsaw like ways parts fit together. 

Edited by Bstarr3

Neat trick with highlighting the sprue label! I've never come across that one before, but I think I'll start doing it too. Thanks for posting it!

Kev

Another cool trick I saw was to get an old drying rack for dishes. Then you can place them in order. 

I actually have a sprues organizer that I bought from Hobbyworld USA. It's a little small for 1/32 sprues, but holds them up just like a dish drying rack would.

In other news, I just saw the Magic Scale Modelling light and motor kit for the Mossie. Thank goodness I didn't see that before I put the fuselage together, or else I would have spent another $80 on this project for sure. I definitely want to try their stuff out for a project in the future

I actually have a sprues organizer that I bought from Hobbyworld USA. It's a little small for 1/32 sprues, but holds them up just like a dish drying rack would.

In other news, I just saw the Magic Scale Modelling light and motor kit for the Mossie. Thank goodness I didn't see that before I put the fuselage together, or else I would have spent another $80 on this project for sure. I definitely want to try their stuff out for a project in the future

I used their light kit for my F-4. They are great to deal with. Met them at the model show in London last year. I had no experience with the electronics involved and they drew out the schematic and helped me do my first light kit. I highly recommend them.

Bstarr, the instructions are telling you to shave off the indicated details.

For the plastic ooze, try applying the cement to each half first along the joining surface, then lightly join then together and apply a second coat of cement and press them tight then.

The new Hobbyzone stand is nice and can hold most 1/32 kits. This is mine with a 1/32 F-4E:

20171110_121953-L.jpg

I've also got the JH one and I think the acrylic one your referring to might be this one:

https://hlj.com/product/LFTFP-400

I use that one for display and not as a work stand but don't see why you couldn't.

Carl

Thanks for the reply Carl. For some reason the instructions weren't making sense to me. The clear stand I was talking about is made by vertigo. Your wooden one looks very nice but seems a bit pricey.

Carl is correct, for the instructions you need to shave those parts off!

The mossie is starting to take its shape beautifully and your cockpit is superlative!

It's a real joy to read your progress in every new post!!

Karim

Last night I finished everything I needed in order to get started on the engines. My failure to get a good "ooze" on the fuselage meant a fair amount of seam work. I first tried Mr Surfacer 500, but it still left a seam line, so I wiped it all off and went with super glue instead. After quite a bit of sanding, got a smooth seamless fuselage, as evidenced by a line of primer:

20180107_005601.jpg

Also finished the tail wheel assembly. Always looking for an ideal metal finish. These were sprayed with square bottle Testors silver, with I think very nice results.

20180107_005617.jpg

Tailfeathers! Man this is a big plane! Tailplane span is over 6 inches

20180107_012047.jpg

Also finally installed the resin ammo chutes to the .303s. Applied a black chalk wash which highlighted the details well.

20180107_005547.jpg

And now, the engines!

Installed the magnets in my Barracuda resin using a stocking stuffer: Bondic UV cure glue. Works well on resin.

20180107_162028.jpg

20180107_160224.jpg

And finally for now, first set of completed cylinder heads installed on the block, with the aid of Tamiya's brilliantly engineered gluing jigs.

20180107_163938.jpg

And a question: is it worth adding ignition wiring to these engines? I feel like it's always worth the effort on radial engines, but can't get a sense of how visible they would be around the intake and exhaust plumbing

Thanks for the reply, Harv. No, sadly, the ignition harnesses are not included as PE. I got one engine put together, and mocked up some ideas for wiring.

Finished engine:

20180107_234654.jpg

20180107_234715.jpg

Idea for wiring ignition harness

20180108_002751.jpg

I feel like these wires may be a little out of scale. After doing some more research, I also see that the shape is not quite right.  I'm going to get some lead and copper wire from a fishing outfitter in town in the right sizes and will be back with my Mk2 effort.  On some build threads, I've seen people using tiny brass nuts to add plumbing detail to engines or landing gear bays.  Can anybody give me a source for these? 

Also, regarding painting the engines, I'm trying to decide between my home brew semigloss black (MM Acryl flat black cut with Future) or just laying a satin varnish over black primer. Thoughts?

Edited by Bstarr3

Decided to go ahead and try some scratch detailing on the engine. Lead and copper wire, syringe tubing. The little discs are slices of 18ga solder. This was very fiddly, but a lot of it was figuring out the best materials and techniques. Now that I've got it down, I'm hoping the other one will be easier.

20180109_004722.jpg

20180109_004701.jpg

20180109_004646.jpg