RAF P-39D

Neo

1 minute ago, R Palimaka said:

This is looking great! Fine work on what I understand is not an easy kit.

The P-39 looks wonderful in RAF markings, and good save on the clear coat issues. She's going to look fabulous.

Richard

Thank Richard

the only thing i wasent sure prior to clrea coat is the topside gray that looked so dark, i feel it looks better now

Here is an update 

i have the mat coat on and i must say im now very happy with it 

i did run into a oups... after sanding the semi gloss i decided to install all the control surfaces so when i got to spaying the mat i could not place it on the stick like before since the rudder was there.. so in a quick move i made some foam pads that i placed inside the landing gear

KD20y3r.jpg

here you can see the foam legs

a9SAYY7.jpg

More later on today

On 11/30/2018 at 10:32 AM, R Palimaka said:

Wow!! That looks so sharp! The colours turned out perfectly, I wouldn't have worried about the grey, it's spot on.

Thank you. 

So Today i took of the canopy masks and i almost had a heart attack

there was this smudge all on the inside of the canopy 

mxRtBQM.jpg

So using a q-tip i rubbed the interior and to my relief it simply wiped off (in the above pic all the front is wiped)

now for the fun part, behind the pilot is a frame with the armoured window so really no access. 

so i tought about a couple solutions then i noticed that on the right side of the plane there was a tiny gap due to fitment issue. 

Using a leftover P.E sprue i super glued a piece of paper towel and voila

Xv6gKEd.jpg 

So on the left side there is still some traces since i cannot go below the radio with my too and there is no ways in hell im removing the clear parts!!!!

Ive also installed the exhausts and did some weathering to them (not in these pics)

i can feel the end is near !! So exiting

On 9/17/2018 at 9:59 PM, Neo said:

i free handed the Camo using Tamiya paints. Ive never used them before and im not convinced i like them yet! 

cqUSrhn.jpg

This is my second time using masks. i like the result but comparing the effort vs decals i think ill do decal in the future. Im glad i did the masks since some makings are not available otherwise. 

ive done some small touch ups by brush to the insignia

PXuhbKG.jpg

im working on the landing gear now. Ive also going to have to respray the white on one of thee lower wing insignia.

Thank you for looking 

Neo, it’s obviously too late now, but a tip is to use reverse masking, it gives you a much better line in some situations. I have used masks on 80% of my builds, unless there is something I can’t get in a mask.

For the 2 color wing roundel, spray the red down first, the stick the center mask in place to cover your red, spray the camo pattern, then place the outer circle and the edge mask in place over everything. Next peel back the outer roundel, spray the blue, now you have a perfect roundel with no color leaking. This technique comb8nes both positive and negative I’ve masking.

the four color roundel are a little more complicated, but, here is how to do it. The goal is not to have more than 2 colors meet at an edge.

1. Spray the area white.

2. Put the mask on that covers the white area, spray the yellow area, being careful not to come to the edge of the masked white area.

3. Place the masks over the rest of the roundels. Cover the inner edges of the roundels with so no tape, so no camo color leaks through.

4. Spray the camo pattern on the whole aircraft.

5. Mask the fuselage all around the roundel.

6. Peel back the red center mask and spray it, then put a pice of masking tape over the dot. 

7. Peel back the blue portion and spray.

you now have a perfect set of roundels that will look s much superior to decals.

Thanks for the tip. 

I think i did you 4 color trick on all of them. Now that you mention it it makes sendlse for the 2 color to use the techinique you mentionned. 

In my case i paonted with tamiya surface primer. Then masque the entire thing. Camo. Then 1 color at a time. 

On the bottom wing roundel when i did touch ups i had some white leek but left it there. 

Ill try you trick next time.  I have a 1/24 bf109 tlthat i started and have a full set of masks for.

I really love your no more than 2 colors shouldeet at an edge. I will remember that.

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys im extremely exited to announce the end of this build !!!!! 

After a long full year this is my only finished kit for 2018 ! 

its been allot of fun and im really satisfied with the result. 

I did chicken out on the weathering !! but i didnt want to screw this one up! 

cockpit left
5sRRz3p.jpg

left
nZWceVe.jpg

cockpit right
iCEtvFz.jpg

right
98Kp1W0.jpg

front 
gb7xPYn.jpg

zWc8l0Z.jpg

bottom
9DbjMCn.jpg

display case
BODfXRn.jpg

Thank you all for following allong

Looks absolutely great.  However, hope you won't mind a minor feedback item?   The ailerons are deflected, which is a nice touch, it adds even more to the overall effect; but the stick is central.  Intended as constructive feedback, not destructive criticism: it's a superb Cobra, and you certainly don't see many RAF examples in this scale.