1/32 IL-2 Sturmovik (white 9)

David Mooney

Merry christmas one and all!

I was hoping to get this finished with its diorama base, but the post held up the snow.........or by the snow :-) 

But i have been working on this beastie (its huge compared to a spit or a 109!!) between studies for the last few months, its a great kit with a few fit issues around the wings area. 

I tried a few new techniques out on the kit as I wanted to explore a few more avenues to make my models look more realistic. I started by priming the kit and doing a black pre-shade and then doing the full camouflage out the topside of Russian green (Mr Hobby 135) and black (Tamiya XF-1) with the underside painted with light blue (Tamiya XF-23). Then I de-canned some hairspray and coated the craft with my spray gun to get a better coverage on the kit, over the top of this I sprayed white (Tamiya XF-2 with a drop of brown and blue so the white wasn't a brilliant white) and then weathered it by using a stiff brush and warm water to lift the paint (very scary moments). Then its was gloss coated and decals set followed by a matt coat and post shading, the post shading was my first attempt at it and I am very happy with the result.

There maybe a few inaccuracies, so please be aware I model on a 'it looks good, so its good for me' basis.

Forgive the photo's on a white background as I had nothing else to use, but I ended up using the Sturmovik's base that will be grassed and snowed....when it turns up, I will update photos when it does :-)

All comments and criticism is welcome, as criticism is how we improve.

Many thanks for looking.

ThMSgFvl.jpg

Ae6dcIll.jpg

TyuynO6l.jpg

rSauf0ql.jpg

Yn0qZtdl.jpg

4oZWlKNl.jpg

LV9XMpVl.jpg

6Y1DuTol.jpg

1NZ0yW0l.jpg

gzgwqP8l.jpg