Dragon Bf110E

mozart

I'm on to what I think potentially is the most critical part of the build, the engine nacelles.  Each part fits very precisely, each one relying on the others being correctly aligned and fitted so anything that is just slightly out can throw the whole assembly.  The instructions would have you treat the undercarriage and engine as a complete sub-assembly, nice idea in theory but fraught with danger in my opinion:

lcXs4t.jpg

so rightly or wrongly (only time will tell!) I'm building things up bit by bit.  I had already completed the undercarriage and fitted the assembly into the wings.....all good so far!  Now the engine and aft fairings:

OOVgUJ.jpg

NilYPO.jpg

The two bits which mate with the wing leading edge can be carefully "forced" into place and become instantly a well-fitting and solid part.  The engine slots into the bulkhead and has five alignment points: the bearers top and bottom (4) and a thickish pipe which runs along the lower right side of the engine - for me this is one point too many so this was snipped short and isn't visible anyway!  But the engine alignment has to be correct with the side fairings for the exhaust stacks to fit:

fkkW4I.jpg

QhTaP8.jpg

which hopefully I've achieved here.  It certainly pays to take your time and think things through on this kit, assuming of course that my thoughts are correct!  More critical alignment yet to come!

Important question answered: can the exhausts be fitted easily after the nacelles (and painting!) are complete?  That's a relief!!

wXPfvk.jpg

Max
Edited by mozart

Some very nice progress there Max, nicely thought out and those Quickboost exhausts look exquisite!

Regards. Andy

Further progress Andy, both nacelles complete and fairly "clean" needing just a little tidying up.  Not the most straightforward bit of modelling that I've ever done, the second one was much quicker and the result will justify the effort put into it!

k4kko3.jpg

CJeeR1.jpg
ks406Z.jpg
FWXNfy.jpg

Max

Nice work there Max, the Dragon intructions as you say would have you take complete;y different approach.

Regards. Andy

Indeed Andy.....the devil in me almost wants to try the instructions method to see how it would have worked, but experience and common sense tells me it wouldn't have!!!

Nice cockpit! I just made a note to approach the engine and nacelles in the same way you have.

Rick

Thanks Rick. A lot of patience and in places gluing in stages is necessary I found; a couple of times I held a joint for fifteen minutes or more to apply the right pressure to the it to get the best finish that I could.

Thanks for sharing your work on nacelles. They are a pain! :doh:

Dan

They certainly are Dan! I'm planning that one of my engines on the G-4 is being serviced so that assembly should be slightly easier!

Max

Edited by mozart

Nice work. Big kit. Looking forward to seeing further progress.

You're right, it IS a big kit, surprised me slightly by its size!!  Progress:

I've just returned from my second funeral in two days (both 95 year old uncles!) so feeling a little unsettled.  Rather than try to get into anything "serious" which would probably result in a c**k up, I decided to do a little pre-planning about the finished model.  

Wherever possible I like to include figures, I think they automatically bring a bit of a story and life to the plane, the human element and all that.  So the plan is to have the pilot (Heinz Schnaufer) and Bordfunker (Fritz Rumpelhardt) climbing on board at the start of a sortie.  Getting the arm and head positions right is important but it's difficult doing that until the canopy's in place, but this is just an initial try on a dry-fit basis:

XqKtty.jpg

pC6lQo.jpg

NUi51M.jpg

Max

looking good max, you're giving me '110 fever

It's an easy infection to pick up Shawn, I've made more 110s in different scales using kits from different manufacturers than any other plane.  I don't know what it is about the 110 but I just love it!

Nice work, Max. Brave to deviate from the instructions but good job taking it slow and thinking your way through it.

I too like adding figures to my models. It looks like you're off to a good start with these

Thanks, the instructions are so flaky that it wasn't too hard a decision to make but of course the danger of fitting a part which then prevents another being fitted is ever present, hence the amount of dry fitting and mocking up first! A variation of "Measure twice, cut once".

Hi Max

Nice work. Where did you find the figures?

Nick

The pilot figure is Aires Aero Bonus 320049, it's sold as a pilot for a Bf109 late version and as such has a back pack parachute which of course post-dates the seat type worn in the 110E times, so I've cut it off, started re-sculpting the harness and I'll sling the pack lower down.  It's a pretty well done figure, lots of sharp well defined detail which is always a help with painting.

The Bordfunker is PJ Productions "German pilot boarding" 321104, not as sharply modelled as the Aires one but it comes with two heads; one wearing a cap, the other a helmet and oxygen mask.  The moulding in places is rather poor but I'll be able to do enough to make it presentable I hope!  

Guest Peterpools

Max

Following along with your thoughts on the engine/gear assembly and how the parts should be assembled - totally agree.

Figures always add so much to a build,: scale, time and place.I only wish I had the talent to paint figures but  I surely lack the skills.

Keep 'em comin

Peter