Kinetic F-86F 40 ext wing, can I covert to Korean War Sabre?

1to1scale

I found a great deal on on a Kinetic F-86F 40 NATO extended 6'3' wing, can I covert it to Korean War Sabre? I can't seem to find the short wing Sabre anywhere. I noticed in some sprue shots that showed it comes with tip extensions, if I leave them off, does that make a 30 Model?

Edited by 1to1scale

Kinetic model actually has short 6'3' wing without slats and corresponds to Korean War F-86F-30. F-86F-40 had extended wing with slats and also was deployed in the late Korean War stage.  Italeri repack also has very nice colorful decals for two Korean War Sabres.

Edited by Fencer-1

The first F-86Fs left the factory with the narrow wing. Later the 6-3 was incorporated and also 6-3 kits were shipped to theatre for installation in the field. It was a simple change of the leading edge, it did not involve a new wing. There are pics of F-86Fs with narrow slatted wings and photos of F-86F-1s with the hard wing. Check your references.

To answer the OP question, leaving off the extended tips only gets you a Canadair Sabre 6 wing, to get to a Korean era wing you would additionally glue up the slats, fill the panel line, and install the wing fence.

Cheers, Tony

Hi 1to1scale,

Jennings is correct

For a Korean Sabre in 1/32 scale you have basically two choices. 

Swop the model for a 6-3 wing Sabre (Also a Kinetic model and kitted by Italeri as well)

Or you can cut the 6-3 extension out of the wing like on this model (Hasegawa)

Sabre_model.jpg

Happy modeling

Nick

Hi Chuck

This always confuses me. So can the Italeri F-86F kit #2501 be built as a Korean War Sabre? Don't know what "wing" it has, but it doesn't have slats. Thanks.

Chuck

Yes it can, but check the references of the particular aircraft since both wide chord non-slatted and narrow chord slatted Sabres served in Korea.

Edited by Cheetah11

Hi wunwingglow

So which kits have which wings? I have a Kinetic South Korean one, and an Italeri one, which appear to be identical mouldings. I don't have a Hasegawa kit....

In 1/32

Hasegawa         : F-40 wing wide chord , slatted , and extended wing tips

Kinetic F-30       : wide chord non slatted with wing fence

Kinetic F-40 Nato Sabre  :  wide chord slatted with option of extended wing tips (these are not supposed to be on the example on                                                the box art)

Kitty Hawke F-86D  :  Narrow chord slatted wing

Kitty Hawke F-86K  :  Same as F-40 wide chord , slatted , extended tips

Italeri    :  Same as Kinetic F-30

Hope this helps

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

So, I just checked, one kit has a slatted wing with long and short wing tips as seperate parts, the other has no slats, fences and short wing tips moulded integrally.

And there's me thinking they were identical kits!! You learn something every day, don't you!?

Just gotta sort out which I need for an RAF one, I suppose. But my brain hurts right now....

The Kinetic kit is labeled WP13201, F-86F-40 Sabre "ROKAF", no mention of NATO. That was what was confusing me. It is labeled correctly being a -40 version for the wings it has. Does this mean Kinetic did 3 boxings? Korean -30, Korean -40 and a NATO -40?