Trumpeter/Hasegawa OA-4AR

Brenhen

When I found the picture below online, I knew right away that it would be my next project. I don't take much convincing when it comes to building an A-4 anyway, but I loved the look of this Argentinian OA-4AR

sVWaBRW.jpg

I had a Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M kit that I planned to use for this project, however there were 3 issues:

1. The Hasegawa kit has raised panel lines, and I wasn't looking to rescribe the whole thing

2. The kit aslo does not have full intakes. Instead, there is a flat plastic wall just inside of the intake lip

3. Almost all of the pictures of Argentine A-4's I found on the ground showed them with engine access and upper service doors open, so I wanted to incorporate that into the finished model

My idea was to combine the nose from Hasegawa's kit with the wings and rear fuselage from the Trumpeter A-4M. The two kits actually fit together pretty well. Both have the intake splits on the fuselage at almost the exact same spot, so that the natural place to make the cut for adding the nose. The Hasegawa nose was wider at the bottom than the Trumpeter, so there was a little bit of cutting and reconstructing that needed to take place on the bottom of the jet, but the rest fit together well.

I hope you enjoy the pictures!

f7DwUaU.jpg

u0lhd5Y.jpg

VDO49yg.jpg

LeLxCIy.jpg

huRXPnT.jpg

CFQpidk.jpg

Thank you guys for the comments. It is very appreciated!

Awesome result! I've been thinking about doing the same since ages; do you have any pictures showing the necessary modifications on the underside?

Starfighter, I do have a few pictures, but I didn't take too many. I'll try to explain what I did with the limited pictures that I do have.

fT5eJKn.jpg

This picture shows the similarities in the fuselage design between the two kits. As you can see, it's a fairly easy cut to visualize

lEMiYr8.jpg

This shows the two fuselage halves after making the cuts and test fitting the nose pieces. Rather than cut straight down the Trumpeter nose, I cut an extension forward at the bottom to keep the wing root. This provided a little more gluing area and made keeping the Trumpeter wing a lot easier

UMCe7DJ.jpg

Here are the parts attached on each fuselage half. The very thin plastic strip on the top of the Hasegawa nose pieces (upper part of the intake base) was very thin and weak. This, mixed with the weight and instability of the nose section until the major construction was fully completed, made for a very weak area of the build. If you do this conversion, strengthen this area early or look for a more practical way to make your cuts and connections. This was my first time combining two kits like this, so I am sure that there is a stronger (and probably much simpler way!) of doing it!

hsN1HIz.jpg

This is the bottom area that didn't line up between the two kits. I wanted to keep the Hasegawa nose gear box for simplicity, so I glued it into the front of the nose, keeping the rear part of the nose gear box unglued. I could then squeeze the Hasegawa nose section to match up with the Trumpeter fuselage section on the bottom of the kit. It wasn't a perfect fit and required some filling and sanding, but it wasn't too bad. What I was left with was what you see in the picture. The nose section sides over lapped the gear box. I carefully recut the opening for the nose gear box until it was flush with the box itself. I'm sure it is not the most accurate, but overall it looks pretty close to the real thing

gQIs6tu.jpg

This shows the plane once the major construction was pretty much complete. The lighter grey plastic is the Hasegawa stuff. The avionics hump from Hasegawa worked pretty well, it just needed to be widened at the rear to match up with the Trumpeter tail fairing

I hope that helps a little bit. If you have any other questions, please ask

Thanks again everyone!