Tamiya F4U-1D VMF-512 1945 1/3 UPDATE!

LSP_Paul

Thank you Brian, John and Peter and David! 

So,

GREAT News,  If you all haven't seen the other thread, NEW PLACARD/STENCIL SHEETS and some NEW ITEMS will be available in January ,Thank you Barracuda, very timely! Onward and upward! 

Paul

I have a set of those Eduard tyres too, so i'll need to take a closer look at em, and see if they have the same pitting issues yours do.

FWIW, the appeal of those over a Barracuda set, is Eduard did the Firestone cruciform tread, something Barracuda hasn't done.

-d-

David,

I ordered the wheels for the same reason. Sprue Brothers will be getting mine back and they will have new stock shortly, Brassin shipment is on its way.

The Eduard however was a disappointment, really poorly printed and slightly out of register.

More soon!

Paul  

So Today was good day!  I got the mail and the Barracuda decals from Patrick ( Petrov) showed up! Whoo Hoo! Now I can finish up the cockpit and get things closed up.

THANKS AGAIN PATRICK   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: , I'll try and put them to good use!

post-3619-0-28711400-1513986891_thumb.jpg

I'm including the "before" picture so we can compare what the placards etc. will do to enhance the overall look. Might make it easier for somebody else to decide if that's right or necessary for his or her Corsair. I know the optivisor is going to get some use. 

post-3619-0-17483600-1513986844_thumb.jpg

Here is a little "color" preview Gotta love Gunze. The Primer is Tamiya  Fine Gray surface primer decanted and airbrushed. I see some dust specs but thankfully they are on top and not in the paint, probably from walking around with it. 

post-3619-0-65146100-1513986964_thumb.jpg

I'll be working on the powerplant later on this evening. LOTS of micro drilling about to happen.

post-3619-0-25233300-1513986542_thumb.jpg

Ok That's it for now, I'll be back soon with more pics!

Paul 

post-3619-0-29533200-1513986502_thumb.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Paul

Glad Patrick was able to come to the rescue and I'm plunked dpown nice an cozy in my easy chair waiting for the next update :)

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you Peter Mike and Carl, Im glad you guys are following along.

So when we left of last I was about to apply the micro decals/placards/stencils from Barracuda. I had used the same kind of set from them for the Tamiya P-51 previously. I have to say, this wasn't as bad as it could have been and was actually fun!

The aircraft on the instruction sheet is a warbird/restoration, and as such the upper areas above the side panels in the cockpit are green as opposed to late war black.  The Cool part about that is I didn't have to apply the little black background parts of the stencils behind the white text, so that cut down the decals I used by half  or just under.  I simply put the white or silver decal over the area it went, used the microscale set and sol solutions and a brand new X-acto for the few spots that needed more solvent to snuggle down.

Some of the decals were also cut up to be manipulated easier ( bigger side console markings) and carefully checked while drying for any malformations of the images as they settled down over the kits protruding details.

I still have to add some very basic wiring from micro solder, build and install the seatbelts and add the throttle, mixture and prop control handels to the throttle itself, do a few little paint touch ups etc.

I remodeled the top of the kit throttle and added some Milliput to the top surface, and created grooves for the various levers to actually sit recessed into as opposed to the kits modeled on parts.

So how did the decals turn out you ask? 

I am quite happy with them. They are very difficult for me to photograph dry fit inside the fuselage, but they really lend an air of authenticity or believability to the whole thing, and are quite noticeable with unmagnified vision, much to my relief!  :)

There are a few left to install, and quite a few not even used or called out for, and Barracuda explains why in their directions. It's nice to have extras.

Before Decals:

post-3619-0-52012100-1514182048_thumb.jpg

After Decals :

post-3619-0-26343200-1514182349_thumb.jpg

I think they make quite an impact

Here's a few more..These are macro zoomed.. to the naked eye the paint and such looks very good, but helps me find areas that need work very quickly too!

post-3619-0-57624800-1514182741_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-80030500-1514182546_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-03984300-1514182195_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-83823000-1514182270_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-70361000-1514182301_thumb.jpg

Merry Christmas everybody!  Thanks for following along with my build!

Paul

Guest Peterpools

Paul

Yikes ''' what a difference -simply transforms the front office and just what the doctor ordered. Well worth the time and delicate/tender work need to apply all the decals

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Paul

Yikes ''' what a difference -simply transforms the front office and just what the doctor ordered. Well worth the time and delicate/tender work need to apply all the decals

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter, they went down pretty well. Even the couple that are "just about straight", look "right" to the naked eye.

I hope to close up the fuselage later this afternoon if all goes to plan.

More soon,

Paul 

The decals really do add an extra bit to the look and feel of the cockpit Paul.

Looks like I'll need to get some for my remaining Corsairs.

Carl

Carl,

Thanks for checking in on the build, Yes, they do add some "busy" to the pit for sure. If one were to use a pilot figured seated in the pit, you wouldnt really need them as much. The open space in an empty aircraft and they do make a nice statement.

Glad ya like it. :)

Paul