Tamiya Spitfire Mk IX Kicked Up A Notch: Last Post

chuck540z3

Chuck

Great to see the Spit is underway and as usual, a great tip on installing the resin side wall. Now the hunt begins for the Dremal set of Bits but at least I have a nice supply of the mini sanding sticks in a variety of grits - great stuff for sure.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

So great to have you back Peter! You were missed.

BTW, if you Google “3mm shank diamond point bitsâ€, you can find bits similar to what I have. They are surprisingly cheap, diamond dust and all.

Edited by chuck540z3

Guest Peterpools

Ordering them as we speak ...

Just checked the site and I have one cardinal rule: I never purchase on line unless I can purchase with PayPal and even though they seem to accept every credit card, no Pay Pal.

I'll be going to Ace Hardware and picking up a set... just a bit nervous, especially since the company is in China.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Gents,

One of the biggest challenges of using a lot of aftermarket resin and photo-etch in a build, is that you wind up with ~5 different sets of instructions with occasional overlap.  This is distracting enough, but when you are trying to build something that is "correct" at the same time, on a subject that you know nothing about, I can only say one thing:  I'M SO CONFUSED!!   :unsure:  :wacko:  :huh:

Rather than have a melt down, I have decided to go with the kit instructions and use the Barracuda resin to replace kit parts when available, rather than focus on the Barracuda instructions which are, sadly, not very clear at all. 

Now a few questions if anybody can help.  I have the Monforton book (in pdf form) and although there are a few good pics of the cockpit side walls, I'd like to find some more.  Any other cockpit references out there?

Paint. 

Edit:  I have decided to go with the Tamiya lacquers, AS-30, AS-31, AS-32 decanted from the can and Model Master RAF Interior Green #2062.

Thanks Guys!

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

I think these are quite good pictures of the cockpit side walls, but that is just my ego talking. Everything is accurate to plans and pictures that I referenced but someone else will, no doubt, have a different opinion.

Note that I added a wobble pump for the fuel (next to the three bulbs) which is not fitted on all Spits (changed to an electric pump at some stage).

yLRz7Jz.jpg

Scratch built a camera film counter (next to the radio box) and cockpit lights on both side walls. There is also a panel that I added below the fuse box to the right of the grey tanks. Not really necessary as you really can't see it when the seat is in.

m0XX0hK.jpg

mEN1ZNp.jpg

And with everything in place...

1sVZUXK.jpg

I only used the Barracuda throttle quadrant, gun sight and undercarriage lever (IIRC) the rest is scratched from copper wire, white glue and plastic.

No no no Chuck, you can't be confused yet! It's way too early in the game for that. Wait 'till you start plumbing the engine, supercharger assembly, and firewall. Then you can start to get confused. Be patient and hopefully the CD I sent will get there soon and it should help. I'll have to look up which paints I used for the exterior colours 'cause I can't remember but the interior was mainly MM British Interior Green.

If it helps at all, check out my Spitfire build thread here on LSP. I actually found Roy's instructions to be fairly straight forward but integrating all the kit and aftermarket pieces can take some time until you figure out exactly what everything is supposed to look like. Trust me my friend, it'll all make sense in the end. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

No no no Chuck, you can't be confused yet! It's way too early in the game for that. Wait 'till you start plumbing the engine, supercharger assembly, and firewall. Then you can start to get confused. Be patient and hopefully the CD I sent will get there soon and it should help. I'll have to look up which paints I used for the exterior colours 'cause I can't remember but the interior was mainly MM British Interior Green.

If it helps at all, check out my Spitfire build thread here on LSP. I actually found Roy's instructions to be fairly straight forward but integrating all the kit and aftermarket pieces can take some time until you figure out exactly what everything is supposed to look like. Trust me my friend, it'll all make sense in the end. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf!  I re-checked the Barracuda instructions again and again and over time, they are starting to make sense.  What I really need to do-  is to shut the #*$% up and get on with it!  ;)

Other than my paint question, I'm going deep underground for a couple of weeks and try to come up with something decent to show, including how I did it.

Later Guys,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3