Tamiya Spitfire Mk IX Kicked Up A Notch: Last Post

chuck540z3

Hey Chuck,

It's lookin' awesome!

The plate that sits over top of the air intake filter should be failrlyclose to the top of the intake as it prevented oil from dripping in to the filter element and clogging up the air filter element. Mine was an extremely tight fit with the extra fastener detail I added to the photo-etch top piece.

Have fun on your holidays and hopefully you're going some place you'll tan rather than freeze or rust!

Cheers,

Wolf

Hey Chuck,

It's lookin' awesome!

The plate that sits over top of the air intake filter should be failrlyclose to the top of the intake as it prevented oil from dripping in to the filter element and clogging up the air filter element. Mine was an extremely tight fit with the extra fastener detail I added to the photo-etch top piece.

Have fun on your holidays and hopefully you're going some place you'll tan rather than freeze or rust!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf!  I'm going to Mexico again, but the east side this time. B)

Did you leave the plate off?  In your pics I can see the top of the air cleaner, so it appears to be missing.  Not a criticism at all, because I wish I had left mine off so that I could see the same detail, but I really glued that plate on solid to avoid it popping off and if I removed it, the fix would be worse than the problem.

Cheers,

Chuck

HOWEVER, that friggin' lower plate covers the entire grill at the top.  You can hardly see anything, even with a flashlight!  :BANGHEAD2:  Moral of this story?  Leave the metal plate off!  Restored Spits don't seem to have it anyway.

So much for working smarter rather than harder on stuff you won't see.  :D

Just funnin' ya, Chuck.  You know that no good deed ever goes unpunished?  That seems to have happened here.  It's unfortunate that the detail was covered up but it's very impressive none the less.  Enjoy your vacation and decompression time.  A battery recharge is never out of order.

Mike

Edited by LSP_Kevin

Thanks Guys!

That! is some very nice modelling, Chuck.

Is the link aftermarket?  Or kit supplied?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

The front arm is kit supplied, but where it attaches in the middle and the linkages attached are scratch made from styrene, spare PE and electronic wire.  The brackets on either side towards the rear are from the Eduard exterior kit.

I just noticed that the engine is covered with lint and other crap in my new pics.  Sorry about that, but handling this engine is now a very delicate operation and I've been using a soft paper towel (and resultant lint) as a platform so that I don't erode off any more paint or other fine details.  That is why I've thrown in the towel on adding any more plumbing.  Spitfire guys will notice that there's a few key coolant lines missing, but every time I add a new feature, an existing detail or other part is compromised.  Time to quit now while I'm a bit ahead!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

:mental:

I'll take that as a compliment!  To prove you're right, I just HAD to fix that intercooler oil tank on the firewall on the right, which now has an oil cap that fell off in my prior post.  All fixed now- and I blew off a bit more dust and crap on the engine.

IIl0X0.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck