Tamiya Spitfire Mk IX Kicked Up A Notch: Last Post

chuck540z3

Way to go Chuck, the engine looks great! A question though, are you going to use the small air intake on the bottom cowl, or the large universal intake that was most common on the Mk IX?

The most time consuming bits are done for sure so you're well on your way. Maybe not downhill ;) from here but less labour intensive for sure!

Oh, you may want to add the filler cap detail for the intercooler fluid reservoir which is the round tank mounted on the upper left of the firewall. The reservoir already has a raised circle moulded on it we're the cap belongs.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Guys!

Way to go Chuck, the engine looks great! A question though, are you going to use the small air intake on the bottom cowl, or the large universal intake that was most common on the Mk IX?

The most time consuming bits are done for sure so you're well on your way. Maybe not downhill ;) from here but less labour intensive for sure!

Oh, you may want to add the filler cap detail for the intercooler fluid reservoir which is the round tank mounted on the upper left of the firewall. The reservoir already has a raised circle moulded on it we're the cap belongs.

Cheers,
Wolf

Thanks Wolf!

Right now, the small intake.  I have the big intake part already assembled and cleaned up, but the few subjects I have my eye on have the small intake and so far I have been following the "A/B" version in the instructions, as opposed to your "C" version.  While I like the later version, I don't want any dang invasion stripes and I bet all of the later versions had them.

Great tip on the intercooler oil tank filler cap, because I want to have some oil dripping down a bit from something and right now the kit detail is way too vague.

Cheers,

Chuck

Actually, the wear of the front disc looks very realistic ...

Excellent job on this engine, Chuck :bow:

Hubert

Thanks, I might leave it as is.

I also note that a few of the cowling fastener holes are plugged with paint and crap.  Consider them cleaned out now!

Cheers,

Chuck

WOW Chuck ! I am in awe of how - with every kit that you touch - you turn a bunch of plastic parts into something that looks magnificent.

This isn't modelling anymore, this is the fabrication of exact replicas of the real thing, only in a smaller scale.

Your WIP's are an inspiration and a great example of what can be achieved with skill, motivation and determination.

My hat's off to you sir !

Sincerely

Pascal

Right now, the small intake.  I have the big intake part already assembled and cleaned up, but the few subjects I have my eye on have the small intake and so far I have been following the "A/B" version in the instructions, as opposed to your "C" version.  While I like the later version, I don't want any dang invasion stripes and I bet all of the later versions had them.

Great tip on the intercooler oil tank filler cap, because I want to have some oil dripping down a bit from something and right now the kit detail is way too vague.

Cheers,

Chuck

While integrated big Aero-Vee carb. intake didn't become available for Mk. IXs until after VII, VIII, Xs and XVI deliveries were covered into 1944, there would have been some months before the June order for the invasion stripes were issued. Section 3.08 of the Montforton study would suggest that the early stubby carb. intakes applied to Mk. V conversions (i.e. those that would have had the oil tank forming part of the outer skin, but instead had a seam line where the aft skin was tacked on) while the continuous under nose skinning was expressly designed for the big Aero-Vee.

The upshot of all that being that the earlier Mk. IXs manufactured from Mk. Vs would also have had the mushroom headed rivets aft of the cockpit from frame 11.

Plus the Aero-Vee looks better.  :D

Edited by Chek

Thanks Guys!

While integrated big Aero-Vee carb. intake didn't become available for Mk. IXs until after VII, VIII, Xs and XVI deliveries were covered into 1944, there would have been some months before the June order for the invasion stripes were issued. Section 3.08 of the Montforton study would suggest that the early stubby carb. intakes applied to Mk. V conversions (i.e. those that would have had the oil tank forming part of the outer skin, but instead had a seam line where the aft skin was tacked on) while the continuous under nose skinning was expressly designed for the big Aero-Vee.

The upshot of all that being that the earlier Mk. IXs manufactured from Mk. Vs would also have had the mushroom headed rivets aft of the cockpit from frame 11.

Plus the Aero-Vee looks better.  :D

Thanks for that intel, which forced me to look at several more Spitfire pics and sure enough, I found a few Mk IX's with the bigger intake and no invasion stripes, including  a 401 Sqn. Spit.  With this new knowledge, I'm now going with the bigger intake because:

1)  This model will likely be displayed with the cowlings off most of the time and that big lower intake/ air filter assembly should spice up the engine.

2)  Plus the Aero-Vee looks better :D

Cheers,

Chuck