Need help with lozenge decals for WNW 1/32 project

ringleheim

I am using Aviattic decals to apply 5 color lozenge camouflage to the wings of the WNW LVG kit.

I have now applied all the camouflage on the top and bottom surfaces of both upper and lower wings.

I am now going to try and cut long strips of lozenge decal and apply it span-wise along the leading edge of the wings.

My question is how wide do you guys tend to cut that leading edge strip in terms of MM?

I am thinking it would make sense to make it extra wide relative to the 1MM or so width of the rib tapes, so that some of it curves up and wraps around the leading edge heading toward the top surface of the wing, but so that you also have enough width to wrap it the other way too and head toward the bottom surface of the wing.

This would allow you to cover as much as possible of that "no man's land" where the top decal sort of meets the bottom decal along the leading edge.  That decal border is not perfect on my wings and I would like to cover/hide as much of that as possible with a clean, wide strip.

Just wondering how wide you guys like to go with that, or what would be historically accurate for 1/32 scale.

Thanks! 

Jim

Historically accurate would be the same width as the tapes on the ribs.. . suggest you cut and apply it in small sections with a little overlap at the joints. Applying it  in long strips (especially around wing tips, ailerons, and thin trailing edges) will be problematic.

Regards, Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob.

Are you sure rib tape width is correct though?  That seems thing to me.

I have seen some photos of the leading edge of the Memorial Flight LVG and their leading edge treatment seems much wider than rib tape width.

4-1-2.jpg

Yes, it certainly looks wider, but is it certain that the MF recreation matches the original? Not trying to pick a fight, or question MF's attention to detail/accuracy. . . Perhaps you should follow MF's example and let it go at that. After all, among those who view your finished model, who will even notice, or care? And for that matter, who can be sure that LVG workers didn't cut different tape widths than Fokker/Albatros/Pfalz/Roland/Siemens, etc.?

Edited by Rob Owens

Looking through the WW reference photo section there is a crashed LVG and you can clearly see the leading edge looks identical to the MF LVG in terms of width.

So i think they nailed it.

In terms of lozenge is there a good single web based source for info on styles etc and aircraft types?

Or is it pretty much scattered all over?

PS the photo is like the 4th or 5th photo in the ref section.

Edited by Darren Howie

Looking through the WW reference photo section there is a crashed LVG and you can clearly see the leading edge looks identical to the MF LVG in terms of width.

So i think they nailed it.

In terms of lozenge is there a good single web based source for info on styles etc and aircraft types?

Or is it pretty much scattered all over?

PS the photo is like the 4th or 5th photo in the ref section.

Not sure what you are looking for, exactly, but this link will take you to an excellent read if you haven't stumbled across it already regarding lozenge camouflage.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=87962&page=1

Yes, it certainly looks wider, but is it certain that the MF recreation matches the original? Not trying to pick a fight, or question MF's attention to detail/accuracy. . . Perhaps you should follow MF's example and let it go at that. After all, among those who view your finished model, who will even notice, or care? And for that matter, who can be sure that LVG workers didn't cut different tape widths than Fokker/Albatros/Pfalz/Roland/Siemens, etc.?

Oh yes, I understand where you are coming from.  It's just that there seems to be a lot of WNW enthusiasm at this forum and I'm sure the issue of how to do leading edge tape has come up many times among many modelers here, and they must have resolved how to do it or what rule of thumb to follow.  That's all.  I thought a bunch of people would have chimed in saying "I cut it to size X".  

In studying photos and thinking about this, I am simply going to cut the strips to whatever seems about right (LOL) to do the job.  

I'm guessing that might work out to be like 2mm in 1/32 scale? 

I just want a strip that is wide enough to hide some imperfections along that leading edge but it is not overly wide so as to come too far back onto the top or bottom surface of the wing.

I am cutting the Aviattic decals into strips and it is amazing what a project within a project the wing decal treatment has been.

It took several hours on 4 consecutive days to get the tops and bottoms of the wings and horizontal stabilizers covered.

Now I have to do the leading edge thing, then I will apply all the rib tapes to the top and bottom surfaces...then probably clear coat, then apply insignia decals, etc.

It's a heck of a lot of work!  I can see why these custom decal sets that are pre-cut to a specific aircraft are a good investment...though no such decal set exists for the LVG that I am aware of.

Production continues at my mini LVG Fabrik.

:punk:

Your research results on the wider Edge tapes certainly settles that score (Well Done!!).  In my experience (black edging/outline on a 1/32 Nieuport 11's wings and horizontal stab/elevators) your greatest challenge will be cutting the Loz strips to a consistent width. 

The only help I can offer is that he actual cut width will be greater than the apparent width when the strips are applied to the wing edges, since the strips "wrap around" top & bottom. 

In any case, good luck!

Regards, Rob

Edited by Rob Owens

I have done a couple planes in Lozenge, at least once the wing tops and bottoms are done, the rib tapes etc seem to go a lot faster.

I did one plane making my own templates for Lozenge that really took me a long time as I would let each piece dry before I added an adjacent piece of Lozenge so that took me longer. I was only adding about two pieces of Lozenge at a time and in some cases one piece at a time to a wing or wings section.

I have done a couple planes in Lozenge, at least once the wing tops and bottoms are done, the rib tapes etc seem to go a lot faster.

I did one plane making my own templates for Lozenge that really took me a long time as I would let each piece dry before I added an adjacent piece of Lozenge so that took me longer. I was only adding about two pieces of Lozenge at a time and in some cases one piece at a time to a wing or wings section.

Yes, it's a slow process for sure.

Today I worked for about 2 hours just to get the rib tapes on the upper surfaces of the left and right upper wings, the 2 horizontal stabilizers, and the elevator (only 2 rib tapes on that, thank goodness).

Tomorrow it will be another couple hours to put them on the lower surfaces.