New WnW - Sopwith Dolphin!

Iain

That's a nice surprise...but damn....that is one ugly plane! Maybe it will grow on me, but I'm not going to rush to buy it. 

Second that. I put this in the same category of the Horten and some other ugly German planes. This will not grow on me and they stand on my list as certainly not to do kit's. :innocent:  But for the believers it is off course a nice Christmas present. :)  :)

Greetz

Danny

Guest The Southern Bandit

I think its cute! I do remember thinking hmmm when I first saw one though, but like many arguably *ugly* Aircraft ... it has grown on me over the years, it will build up into a fantastic model I'm sure, cockpit area likes nice and busy as well, great detail.

Edited by The Southern Bandit

Well the Dr.I has now featured on four different sets of WNW box art - including two of the very first releases, the SE.5a and Brisfit - so I'm not holding my breath...

Was wondering too if this was a subtle WnW hint, but never realised this was 4th time the Dr.1 has featured on WnW boxart, they seem in no hurry to release one, read somewhere that they think the Roden kit is pretty good already, bought one earlier this year along with AM and Richthofen red machine decal set, it does look a nice kit, probably get one more.

Definitely buying a Dolphin though, Hope Black Mike Models will get them in stock.

Was wondering too if this was a subtle WnW hint, but never realised this was 4th time the Dr.1 has featured on WnW boxart, they seem in no hurry to release one, read somewhere that they think the Roden kit is pretty good already, bought one earlier this year along with AM and Richthofen red machine decal set, it does look a nice kit, probably get one more.

Definitely buying a Dolphin though, Hope Black Mike Models will get them in stock.

Maybe we can aspect a DR.1 before the end of 2017 also, you never know.......WNW is full of surprises.

Greetz

Danny

Wow, this is an exciting release.

I just finished reading a novel that was written in the 1920s about British fighter pilots fighting late in WWI. Dolphins played a small role in it.

The book is Winged Victory, by V. M. Yeates. I liked it a lot, though it has a rather odd title for a bitter, cynical anti-war novel. It was probably named by the publisher to boost sales. Makes me want to build a Dolphin.

Going to have to look out this book now, sounds fascinating ... thanks.

EDIT: found a copy on Ebay, paperback one, but £2.99 delivered, no complaints :)

Edited by The Southern Bandit

Well the Dr.I has now featured on four different sets of WNW box art - including two of the very first releases, the SE.5a and Brisfit - so I'm not holding my breath...

The REAL hint will be when they show a Spad VII or XIII in a dogfight against a German plane. So far, it looks like the French never fought in the air, at least according to WnW's history books ;) ...

Hubert

I have so ordered one of these already!

Yeah, I should wait, but still.  I'll need a second one later.

Funny, I have the Osprey on Camel/Dolphin aces and was reading through it a few months ago, and "WNW could so do a Dolphin" went through my mind.

Guess somebody heard!

TW

WNW has said they are not interested in kitting aircraft that are already served by the kitmakers. Roden's DR. 1 is a good kit and reasonably priced so I am not gonna hold my breath for the DR 1 from WNW. Unfortunately this likely applies to the Spad VII and XIII (Roden and Hobbycraft respectively) and nearly the entire line of Neiuports (Roden and Academy/Hobbycraft). 

Perhaps the Academy/Hobbycraft Nieuport can be accepted since this did not stop them doing the Camel possibly because the HC/Academy was very very basic as is the HC/Academy/Italeri Nie 17. 

It is hard to predict where WNW will land next since no one ever would have guessed the Taube.....

And wish lists abound with popular and obscrue types. I personally wish for a JN-4 Jenny but its use as a trainer likely rules it out. Beyond that I love British types so the more the merrier and if they wanted to release an OEFAG Albatros I would buy one in a skinny minute. 

However all of that aside I am happy to sit back and see what comes at this point with my only wish being that they would come a little more often  :please:  lol 

Zach

Sir Peters group also said that exact same thing years ago when asked about kitting the Camel. 

I noted that as an exception to this rule in my post......though the HC/Academy/Italeri Camel was a particularly basic kit whereas the Roden DR 1 is quite nice and well detailed. 

My overarching point here is hold your breath for whatever you but no matter what WNW releases I think the majority of us will be happy regardless of subject. 

The Fok.DR.1 features on the box art. I'm hoping this is a SIGN!!!!!

Von B :m0152:

Me too.

Unfortunately they had the DR.1 on the box art for the SE.5a, which was one of their first releases, and so far no joy. Still, never say never.

The Dr.I has appeared on more than one kit, and this is yet another. I've yet to make a list of how many appearances, but may just do that.