SU-27 UB intake question

mark31

I don't have the kit, but as far as I remember, the answer is 'maybe, maybe not (so much)'.

The Zacto intakes are works of art whose presence in your world will enhance your life. But they're expensive, relative to the kit's cost.

The hedged reply is because the original Trumpy intakes were travesties, the location being about the only thing right about them.

In what I believe was and still might be a sore point for Chris, Trumpeter revised their intakes in later issues of the kit and even copied some of the features Chris included in his resin intakes. While still not as good as the Zacto intakes, the later issued revised kits are less in need of the upgrade than the original issue. While I'm not 100% sure, to complicate matters I don't believe Trumpeter changed their product numbers so you can't tell if you've got an early or late boxing.

As you already have the kit, the best way to tell is probably to tack the intake parts together and compare them to the photos on Zacto's website.

Or you may have noticed if they look too thin and more oblong than they should compared to photos of the aircraft.

The nosecone is worth adding too (as are the pylons etc. etc.) but the correctly tapered radome makes a big difference to the final look.

I think the UB was the first introduction of the Trumpeter “fixes†(copies), so they all had them. It was later batches of the single seater boxing that supposedly had the “fixed†parts, however there was nothing on the box to differentiate them from the earlier batches with the original parts from what I remember.