Hasegawa Bf109K-4 "Red 7" 10./JG 27

tucohoward

Well, it's time for another 109. I've been playing around with several other things that really haven't gone that well and/or haven't really motivated me. So after binning most of them and clearing the bench somewhat I've decided to do something I always enjoy. John's excellent Erla G-10 build has also motivated me quite a bit. Also I had a K-4 fuselage 90% riveted along with one wing so have a pretty good head start on things. 

A while back I picked up a copy of JaPo's excellent "Luftwaffe Over Czech Territory Pt. IV" which I thought was just covering Me 262 and Arado Ar234 operations. However, tucked in the very back is a profile of the the subject I will be doing. I've been wanting to do it since I first saw it.

20171125_170052_zps2evreaoc.jpg20171125_170140_zpso9z0wlhh.jpg

As usual I have a ton of AM for this thing, including the Eagle Parts cockpit and oil cooler cover, Radu's belts, G-Factor gear legs, BarracudaCast spinner and prop blades, etc. One of the new items I have that I haven't used before is the A.M.U.R. Reaver supercharger intake. I have already installed it and it's fantastic. It eliminates the hardest seam to get rid of on the whole kit. One that many people don't address and is one of the things I always look at on any 109 build. It is advertised for Revell or Hasegawa. It fit this kit perfectly.

Anyhow, I am glad to be back here with a WIP as that always seems to keep me going.

Jay

20171125_080317_zpsqegvudwy.jpg20171125_163008_zpsstkzszfr.jpg20171125_163219_zpsqxinposy.jpg

Awesome Jay!  Subscribed to this one as I've long admired your 109 work here at LSP.   I've yet to build my Hase K-4 that sits on the shelf.  Especially interested in seeing the Eagle cockpit as I am weighing the Eagle vs MDC vs Aires cockpit sets for my future build.  I really like the late war K-4 schemes as they displayed an interesting mix of hard, semi-hard and soft edges on their camo patterns.  The W. Nr. 331 K-4's are a perfect example of this.

Thanks, guys! John, I find the 331 series paint schemes to be the most interesting of the K's for sure, although I like the others as well. Regarding AM cockpits for the K-4, I like all three. I haven't used the Aires K-4 set, but I have used other Aires 109 sets and found them to work well. Big fan of the MDC sets. I have used quite a few, including the K-4, and always enjoy them. That said, for the K-4, I would recommend the Eagle set, to you anyway. It's more work than the others for sure, but very accurate and complete. The main difference is that the rear bulkhead and the rear deck with canopy release mechanism are all separate pieces and it takes some work to get all that together. The instructions are 4 8x11 pages, if that tells you anything. Actually, most AM instruction sheets could stand to be more like Eagle's. Obviously you like a challenge, so that would be my recommendation, but you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

Jay

Guest Airfixer

@John

What Jay said... Get the EagleParts cockpit set.

I've used both the MDC and Eagle Parts sets on my K-4s, but I'd positively favour the latter...for exactly the same reasons Jay described.

EagleParts #26-32 - Bf 109 K Cockpit kit:

jY1CWFx.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/z8kfq

Edited by Airfixer

Thanks fellows! Starting to dig into the Eagle Parts cockpit. It really is more work than other resin pits for this but worth it I think. Lots of plastic removed for the seatback/rear deck piece. Also on mine the right bracket for the canopy release mechanism was broken off and not in the package. I will see what I can do when I get it installed. May have to drape a shoulder belt over it which I may well have done anyway. Took a little too much off and had to shim it a bit but have a good fit now. It all needs to be blended together as no seam there. Also has to be installed first and then rest of cockpit which, again, is more difficult than the other options. We'll see how it works out.

Jay

20171129_163855%201_zpskvn2jnbo.jpg20171129_171413_zpslenqtu6n.jpg

Good preliminary work on the Eagle cockpit, Jay.  Fiddling with things to get them to fit is just one of the deals we have to go through in order to utilize many of the resin products out there.  It used to intimidate me a lot more than it does now but it can still be stressful.  Looking forward to seeing more of the cockpit!