Cyber Hobby Me 110 G-4

Cheetah11

Thanks for the interest and comments everyone.

A small update but a major milestone as the wings are on ! ( Sounds like the first step on the moon quote)

All my fiddling with details inside the fuselage distorted the fuselage to a small extend and caused a problem with the fit of the wings. The solution was to use super glue to glue the top part, once dry I squeezed the bottom part and glued it on also with super glue.  As an added security I drilled holes on top of the spars and filled this with super glue.  I also finished the rudder but will add the small rods after painting.

Bottom of the wings

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

The rudder

IMG_2486.jpg

Enjoy

Nick

Hi everyone

a bit of a slow week as I will explain a little later.

I managed to get a Falcon vacuform canopy from Jay's Models in New Zeeland as Partor John could not supply a single canopy at this time. The Falcon canopy was designed for the Revell kit and does need a bit of adjustment to fit. having said that it is a very good product and I am glad I also ordered a Mosquito canopy with this. The only question is to use only the rear part or the whole canopy. The whole canopy will lead to less discontinuity but more internal framing needs build up. This is not difficult but the superglue might frost on the canopy. I might in the end use a combination of both.

IMG_2502.jpg

I have also learned from the rear of the cockpit build that I need to check the fit of the parts before detailing it. I also need to lengthen the cannon barrels to fit thru the canopy. As you can see I needed to adjust the armor panel as well as the gun mount. I also realized the Mg 81 cannot be fitted once the canopy is in place, so some tricky masking and painting still awaits.

IMG_2500.jpg

I have been working with the Me 110 for about eight months and have not done much painting. I intended to do a OOB build in parallel just to finish something. I was thinking of finishing the Tornado F3 or doing a Bf 109 G-2 trop but as I walked into the local hobby shop, this jumped into my shopping trolley( my wife's usual phrase upon her return from Woolies)

IMG_2504.jpg

During the night the fairies added a fin fillet and sanded the cuffs off the prop blades. Darn it. Now I have to do a Mk IV!

Happy modeling

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Hi Shawn

Thanks for the tip. I will test it on the unused part. The problem is not on the outside of the canopy but the internal framing which is stepped. I will see if I can use strips of plastic to build it. Since opening the rear part I am committed to build the internal framing of the opening.

Nick

Hi everyone

thanks for the interest . Just a quick update. I finally decided how to proceed with the canopy so things should speed up a bit. I am using the kit parts for most of the canopy, but needed to modify some of the parts. The slight difference in the position of the frames on the kit parts and the Falcon resulted in a 1 mm gap between the two parts. I moved the kit part rearwards by the 1 mm and it is hardly noticeable.

Measuring and trial fitting the parts

IMG_2508.jpg

The framing added.

IMG_2511.jpg

Enjoy

Nick

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the compliments and interest. I have completed almost all the "manufacturing" and only a few pieces need to be detailed before I can start the painting and final assembly. 

This week was a bit of polishing. The frames on the Me 110 G were different on the rear half of the canopy. To use the kit part which is more sturdy, I had to sand the frame lines off and polish the piece smooth again, The frame on the outside is almost flush with the canopy, but prominent on the inside. I will depict the outside by masking and painting and the inside by 1 mm half-round styrene strip.

IMG_2523.jpg

The kit cannon barrels are a bit short, so I used a Dremmel to turn new ones from 1,6 mm rod.. Not as good as Master barrels but better than the kit ones

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

I also made a pitot tube from steel rod and the wing tip lights from clear sprue polished smooth.

IMG_2522.jpg

The landing light was painted with clear Humbrol yellow on the inside and glued in place with super glue using small amounts. The glass cover was then sanded smooth once the superglue had set. ( Sorry for the focus. I will post a better picture when taking photos again)

IMG_2520.jpg

I decided to paint the inside of the wheel wells aluminium as most of the late war Me 110's and other German aircraft  did not have the inside of the wheel wells painted. I used an expensive metalizer color which turned out to be a little dark. I the tried the new inexpensive Tamiya lacquer silver which worked fine. I cannot see any difference except the color.

IMG_2524.jpg

The build is now thankfully approaching the final stage of painting.  Comments and suggestions welcome

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11