What 109 to buy

Stinger16

Really have no use for a Tamiya G-6.  No interest / need for a superdetailed engine, cute little magnetic cowling fasteners, etc.   All of that will put the price well north of $100 US.   I liked Revell's approach in offering just a stripped down, no frills model for a quarter of the cost of a Tamiya kit.   They just sucked on the execution, which is still mind-blowing, given the plethora of resources out there to work with.  Can't fully slag Revell for crappy execution, Eduard wins the lifetime achievement award for botched G-6's.  

Still wish T would re-issue some of their 32nd kits, minus the engines, etc in order to get the price a bit more reasonable. 

I like the Revell 109s I've seen with the Barracuda bulges and Henri Daene prop. I might get Brassin legs for my stash but four sets - aargh!

Metal rod seems a more cost-effective solution.

Tony

By the time you add all the extra stuff you're at the cost of a Tamiya kit

I for one will take *any* 109 they choose to make

I'm in also! ... At least I'm 99.9% sure they'll be as close to error free as you're likely to get.

Rog :)

Really have no use for a Tamiya G-6.  No interest / need for a superdetailed engine, cute little magnetic cowling fasteners, etc.   All of that will put the price well north of $100 US.   I liked Revell's approach in offering just a stripped down, no frills model for a quarter of the cost of a Tamiya kit.   They just sucked on the execution, which is still mind-blowing, given the plethora of resources out there to work with.  Can't fully slag Revell for crappy execution, Eduard wins the lifetime achievement award for botched G-6's.  

Still wish T would re-issue some of their 32nd kits, minus the engines, etc in order to get the price a bit more reasonable. 

These modern Tamiya kits are little jewels and I would love the full on Tamiya treatment with a Bf-109 of literally any type with as much detail packed in as Tamiya will give me.  Including cute little magnetic enclosures. 

If cheap, simplistic, flawed kits like Revell likes to make are your thing, that's cool.  They are out there and you can buy them.

That is not Tamiya's market and they are not trying to reach that buyer with these 1/32 releases.  They have chosen these kits to be a halo product of sorts for the brand, showing what they are capable of as a company.  

If you buy the Tamiya kits from Japanese sources on Ebay they really aren't prohibitively expensive, and certainly not north of $100 US.

I just checked with one of my go-to sellers on Ebay, Tokyo Hobby.  He has the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk. IXC right now for $69.50 US, and he will combine shipping costs if you buy multiple kits in one order.

Having built the Revell, but not the Hasegawa...I would tell you to go with Hasegawa and whatever Resin upgrades you need. The Revell cockpit is nice, maybe add a Yahu panel and a quickboost stick, and try to graft it into the Hasegawa kit? I am not happy with the exterior of the Revell, they chose some odd panel lines and assembly that don't correspond to the real aircraft. Having built other Hasegawa, I generally like assembling them better. 

idLkMXL.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

In the UK the problem with buying the Tamiya kits from Japanese sellers is you get hammered by Customs when it arrives. Tokyo Hobby et al are great sellers but Customs seem to be waiting for stuff from them.

I've never had anything from Japan escape charges, whereas some of the Chinese sellers never get hit.