Revell 1/32 Bf109G-10 Erla

Thunnus

wow wow wow

Outstanding job and thanks a lot John to share all your tips & tricks !

Best

Matt

Thank you for watching!  Your comments are appreciated!

Mein Gott!!!! Carefully look over the process and record the moves - the most such plans! :popcorn:

Danke!

This one is winding down.  Just adding the last bits and pieces.  The canopy masks and masks for the wing lights finally come off!  Any bits of adhesive and paint leaks are carefully rubbed off with the tip of a wooden toothpick.

IMG_1972.jpg

The various antennae and the belly tank are glued into place.

IMG_1973.jpg

The last ordeal has been attaching the aerial.  I've been using stretched sprue.  It's a bit of a pain as the thin wisps of stretched sprue are difficult to paint.  The first couple of attempts ended in failure.  The aerial just wouldn't lay right and finally, when I got it looking ok, I got it too close to a source when tightening the aerial that it melted it apart.  Then I remembered that I have some of Uschi's rigging thread that a friend gave to me.  Why not give it a shot.  It's similar to EZ-Line in that it is elastic but it is a bit smoother and comes in finer gradations.  I used the standard grade here.  The attachment at the rudder tab was fabricated using a loop twisted from a thin copper wire strand inserted into a small section of brass tubing.  The end of the Uschi thread was glued into the tube opening and then attached to the rudder tab.

IMG_1975.jpg

The rigging thread is dark so it doesn't need to be painted.  I added blobs of white glue that were painted black.  The thread worked very well and seems to be able to stand more abuse due to the rigging's flexibility.

IMG_1976.jpg

And with that, all that is left is to push the spiraled spinner into place.  I'll save that final view until tomorrow and I can get some proper pictures taken with the DSLR.  Next stop... Ready for Inspection!

Edited by Thunnus

Very nice build John, well worth the effort of the replacement resin nose and love the subtle weathering  :goodjob:

Regards. Andy

Thank you Andy!  Going into this build, I was very worried about the AMUR Reaver cowling as I had never attempted such a big resin replacement.  I'm relieved that it turned out ok.

A really great and very instructive build that I have thoroughly enjoyed following! Impressive work!

Regards,

Steve S.

Thanks Steve!  I can't believe how quick this one went.  My last build (Dora Black 1) took seven months to complete!

Great stuff!

Both the model and the report.

:thumbsup:

How did you attach the vertical thread coming from the fuselage to the horizontal one?

Thanks.

Juraj

Thank you Juraj!  I drilled a hole in the attachment point on the fuselage.  After I put the main aerial line into place. I glued the end of another piece of Uschi's thread into the hole in the fuselage.  Once the glue was dry, I placed a tiny dab of CA glue on the horizontal aerial in the location where I wanted the vertical aerial to attach.  I then gently stretched the Uschi thread into position and pulled it against the CA glue spot.  I actually had to do this twice as the first time, I stretched the vertical line excessively and it ended up pulling down the horizontal aerial too much.

John,

Really a great build!  Like the others, I appreciate all of the creative tips that I can use to improve the finish on my models.

Looking forward to that RFI.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!  I really appreciated your presence during this build!

Nice tight wiring.  Good show.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark!  First time using the Uschi thread... I'll be using it more often!

Lurvely build, impressive stuff with some outstanding details and techniques - thx for sharing

Torben

Thank you so much Torben!

Absolutely stellar work, all the way! Hats down this is the nicest Erla G10 to date.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Martin

That's very kind of you to say Martin!  You're help on this build was essential so thanks for that!

+1!

Thanks Brian!  Another one down... on to the next one!

Great build with lots of helpful tips.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Chuck!  I've got some other LSPs coming up so please check in on those!

Thanks everyone for following this build!  The G-10 Erla is finished and I have posted photos over at RFI.  Please check it out...

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=72790

Here's a sneak peak....

JTK_3657.jpg

JTK_3627.jpg

JTK_3610.jpg

JTK_3633.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

• 2 years later...
On 3/11/2020 at 10:43 AM, Sabre F-86 said:

i was wondering if you could tell us the air pressure, and tip size you use for the black mottle effect. I tried it on my G10 but it is way cruder than yours. I'd like to duplicate it.

I use an Iwata HP-C Plus, which has a 0.3mm needle and tip, I believe.  The 75/83 colors were Mr Hobby Aqueous thinned with 90% iso alcohol at a 3:1 or 4:1 thinner:paint ratio.  I normally spray at about 15 psi and go up and down around that as needed, depending on the paint mixture I'm shooting.  For fine mottles, I usually dial down the pressure a little bit.