Fairey Gannet

NigeW

Many years ago I recall seeing an advert from a UK model shop, that I think was in Luton, which listed loads of I.D. models and included a Fairey Gannet.  However, having checked the database I can find no mention of it.  Does anyone know if one was ever produced/released and if so if it was an AS/COD or an AEW version?

TVM     

The only hope is if Paul Fisher considers producing one.

1) Paul is focusing more on US Navy, IIRC (although the Sea Fury is a brilliant exception)

2) He has already dismissed the F3-H Phantom as too big for a resin kit from him

3) Certainly a Gannet is even bigger than a F3-H, not to mention that it does not have any of its aesthetic appeal ...

Scratchbuilding one seems the only really viable option ;)

Hubert

1) Paul is focusing more on US Navy, IIRC (although the Sea Fury is a brilliant exception)

2) He has already dismissed the F3-H Phantom as too big for a resin kit from him           

3) Certainly a Gannet is even bigger than a F3-H, not to mention that it does not have any of its aesthetic appeal ...

Scratchbuilding one seems the only really viable option ;)

Hubert

Not completely true...

1) He is now working on a full kit of the Fairey Firefly V, and expressed interest (but absolutely no promises!) in the Westland Wyvern.

I agree with EvilCarrot, the Gannet may be too big, but there is something very appealing about how ungainly she is...especially with the wings all folded up. 

Richard

Ahhh, how I would love a Gannet!

It's true, a very large and complex subject.Maybe we'll see one someday, but I must complete the Firefly and other things for now.And, yes, I think HpH are doing a Wyvern, although it was on my list of things to do, I started one about 20 years ago but didn't go far.Trumpeter had mentioned they planned to up-scale their 1/48 offering a few years ago but I've heard nothing about it since , so who knows?

News from John, aka Tigger Models, is that he has an AS/COD Gannet in preparation that just needs the canopies sorting.  With the amount of PE/resin available for 1/72 AS models from which to copy detail parts this may be a feasible, albeit long-term, project.  Not sure, much as I prefer the AEW version, I would even consider trying to scratchbuild one.  While you could never describe the Gannet as other than ugly it was still pretty imposing; watching an AEW bird folding or unfolding it's wings was something to behold.  Not sure I consider it a particularly big aircraft even for 1/32, not when we already have the B17 and a Lancaster on the horizon, but I accept it is most unlikely to be produced in IM or resin (but one can hope). To put the size into perspective it is smaller, other than the AEW version's height, than an A10 and of a similar size to a Tigercat.              

I have to disagree with part of point three, the Gannet has a lot of aesthetic appeal to me! In a "so ugly its pretty" kind of way, but still! ;)

Exactly! How can you not like an aeroplane with too many cockpits, too many propellers, too many tail fins.

GannetCutaway.jpg

https://www.faaaa.asn.au/gannet-images-media/

Richard