F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

11 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

I’ve seen old hot rodders use JB Weld on flat head Fords and the 300 Inline 6…those mains will hold!

Funny you should say that!

My brother had a 40 Ford w/a flat head on it that had a crack in the block.....he sold it with that same JB weld fixed crack still in the original engine, going strong.

I also used it to hold a 1/4" thick steel plate to the underside of my Jeep to bolt an Air Ride compressor on! I sold that Jeep with it still firmly stuck to the underside.

You are right though, if anything is going to hold it's going to be JB Weld.

This one continues to fight and bite, Brian! But I'm sure you'll overcome, as you always do.

Just a note about the physics of your weight situation, though: the main landing gear will always bear the brunt of the weight of the full model (or real aircraft, for that matter), as its location is designed around the centre of gravity of the airframe. This is why you can weight the heck out of the nose of a model with tricycle undercarriage, and it can still be a tail-sitter (or close to it). If the tail tilts back easily, then you know there's really not much weight on the the nose wheel leg at all - barely enough to keep it down. The more weight you add to the nose, the further forward creeps the CoG, but you're still adding overall weight that the main landing gear has to deal with.

Kev

Thanks Kev!

All true, as I have pumped a lot of hours into the CG and where it will need to be in order to get a nose sitter.

With this particular model the direct pressure put on the nose gear is significantly more impactful here since the nose gear angle is SO drastic, the pressure and strain put on the nose gear glue points from the main wire to the rest of the gear is virtually a pulling force VS a pushing force wanting to push the glue joints together.

Although the MLG may be supporting the overall .879 kg/28(ish)Oz of the model, the angle of the MLG from front to back unlike the nose gear is nearly straight up and down, with the tiniest slant to the back which will help out the tail sitter syndrome. The force applied pushes near directly down  on the glue joints wanting to push them together, vs the nose gear where the pressure wants to push the joints apart, so I'm actually much less worried about the weight on the MLG than I am about the nose gear.

The long term effects of this pulling strain are not yet known, but I intend to put some traction aids on her wheels or out her on a base to keep any sliding force to a minimum.

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Uhhhhhgg!,           Well, the big girl rectified that situation quickly!

VDPonpj.jpg

Maybe you could cut along the panel lines to that area and rebuild the whole thing  ???

Edited by MikeMaben

The bad news...........

The opening around the tail hook area is unsalvageable.

I remember now why I added so much resin back there!

It was super thin in that area and when I tried to cut it Dremel, or sand in any way the exterior of the hole just started to crumble. 

This leads me to the next bit of news......

The GOOD news!

While I was contemplating that delema, I took the landing gear off of the handi-hands and did a bit of finger crossing and eye closing.

They looked like they turned out well:

i-jh6g2tG-XL.jpg

i-TMjCGtq-XL.jpg

No time like the present to face the future of the entire build......

Ding, we have a winner!!

She is actually sitting on here own 3 legs for the first time ever! Albeit not complete, but still:

i-K7vXRsD-XL.jpg

i-kRDgvB9-XL.jpg

i-hhF7Ccp-XL.jpg

Yay!

On to the next bit of good news......

I had contemplated this prior to starting the tail hook area a few years back, but dismissed it because after a LOT of work, I got the tail hook in the closed position. 

Well this changed that of course.....

During my father's time in the USN on a flat top in 1946, he worked on Bearcats and had several friends at land bases on the coast the country. He told me once about some of his friends in land based training units (not sure if El Toro was one honestly, but they did have F7Fs) that removed the tail hooks out of their Tigercat they used for flight and gunnery practice. He had heard of some land based training units had removed then faired over the tail hook as they could apparently save a lot of weight, and could prevent the birds from being tail sitters when not fueled up as well as not having to worry about any maintenance issues with a part of the airframe that did not see service.

I'm not sure if 80405 had it l, as I only have two pics of it, and that area is not clear.

I can only guess what a fairing of this nature looked like.

Innacurate or not, I went this direction to save my sanity, since it is at least plausible they would do something like this on a land based training air frame.

Not perfect, but it looks ok, and will get the build moving, and although I can't prove it actually had a fairing, it it plausible it might have

i-9xfm8P6-XL.jpg

i-ZTPsLmt-XL.jpg

i-wrC8fds-XL.jpg

Now into a bit of a  milestone on this build...the windscreen!

On attempt #5 I got an Ok Future dip, so I masked it up, in and out, then painted the inside and outside w/MRP flat black.

I then finished off the gunsight, glued it in then glued in the windscreen itself:

i-TKLKH3s-XL.jpg

i-HWN5JPQ-XL.jpg

The final fit of the windscreen took some work and effort ( what else is new), but in the end turned out quite nice after much fetteling:

i-BgdMBBT-XL.jpg

i-55VfTpG-XL.jpg

Everything still looks a bit disheveled at this point with various bits in primer showing through, but the fit of the windscreen is really very nice.

Last two bits for the evening I promise!

I snapped some pics of the cowls before weathering as well. The MRP interior green well on extremely smooth

i-hFpCdMJ-XL.jpg

i-j4sj6hH-XL.jpg

i-RpsxJ2z-XL.jpg

Finally, for the last bit for this evening......uh woops, very early morning here actually, I've got a scoop and I'm gonna tell ya, boy howdy!

Well, actually I've got 5 scoops to be precise. 

HpH gives you 4 out of 5 scoops for parts of the forward fuselage in PE form, but being short 1, as well as knowing how utterly thin the HpH  PE was I knew 100% I would crush all of them before finishing the model. Especially with how much this gal weighs! (Never polite to ask a girls wieght, but had to put her in the scale

So after more contemplation, I realized I had the answer to my issue right in front of me in my little bench "junk drawer" cup I keep handy. That is where I found a  partially cut piece of SS turkey injector needle. I took the Dremel tool to them, and then used the same technique to make 3 smaller ones from some hypodermic tubing I had on hand.

They look a bit better in person, but I'm still pleased with how they came out, and I will not be crushing these easily:

i-Jn3MVgT-XL.jpg

i-SGQzm6z-XL.jpg

i-DPDCGNd-XL.jpg

i-Sb3gmjW-XL.jpg

i-XndhzBV-XL.jpg

All for now lads, as it just chimed 4 bells I the am here, so it's off to bed with me, but with a resounding sense of accomplishment!

Cheers to all, and a Merry X-mas Eve to this who celebrate!