F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

Sorry to hear about the wing issue not being resolved, Brian.  Not enjoying your pain but I am interested to see how you handle the filling and re-scribing step, especially what material you use to fill the existing panel lines.  Do most of you guys use a DSLR for your in-progress shots?  I use a point-n-shoot for mine.  Canon S100 that I can shoot in RAW.  It's much more convenient to use around the work bench.  I bust out the DSLR when it comes time for the finished shots.

I think using a DSLR for WiP photos is probably a minority scenario. I still use an old Fuji S6500 bridge camera, but that's about to change, as I've just purchased a Canon 1300D with macro lens. It's important to me to make my photos as close to magazine quality as possible at all times, because some of them do actually end up in magazines, and others may end up in one of my books. If you're being paid for (or earning money from) your photos, then I think it's reasonable to expect them to be as good as possible. I think for forum-only work, it's probably overkill.

Kev

Yes indeed!   Ive been pouring over my Nikon stuff, but its got SO many features, Im over my head ATM. Im about to purchase the "For Dummies" boon on my Nikon, as its been recommended to me from several people in the know. 

I spent last night working on the new scheme for my little Extra 330 so the bench for both the Extra and Tigercat were lonely last night.  I still have been using my cell camera for my "at the bench" shots, but having purchased the completely incorrect lens for close in and/or wide angle modeling shots, Im in limbo with pictures ATM.  

I was SO disgusted with myself for being all smug and happy about the lens I bought thinking it was going to be perfect that I stepped a way from the camera stuff for a few days. Later today after work, Im going to go down to the local camera shop and rent either a 10 -24 combo wide angle lens, or maybe a 18 - 55 combo wide angle, depending on what the recommend. 

That way when I go to actually BUY my own lens, Ill KNOW its right for what I want to do. 

Keeping a keen eye on how this develops. I have subscribed to no less that 4 HPH kits with a view to starting a Sea Hornet soon. The disappointment with the lower wing on such an expensive kit is not really acceptable at this level, That said, im sure it wont detract too much from the finished article as im sure your more than capable of beating it into shape. 

At least the faults are on the underside of the wings, had it been on top, its most likely a massive dealbreaker for most.

Keep up the good work, i'm sure you'll end up with a build to be proud of. 

Edited by Phartycr0c

Keeping a keen eye on how this develops. I have subscribed to no less that 4 HPH kits with a view to starting a Sea Hornet soon. The disappointment with the lower wing on such an expensive kit is not really acceptable at this level, That said, im sure it wont detract too much from the finished article as im sure your more than capable of beating it into shape. 

At least the faults are on the underside of the wings, had it been on top, its most likely a massive dealbreaker for most.

Keep up the good work, i'm sure you'll end up with a build to be proud of. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  I too dont think that is an acceptable answer for what is effectively a screw up on their part, on a $300+ USD kit. I know that the "HpH way" of resin pool stuff, and how the kits do NOT just fall together fit wise killed my motivation for my Walrus project. I will definitively be back on that project as well. I just need to get back to it, as I was/am close to putting on the upper wing. 

I have several routes to take on the under-wing issue, everything from just living with it (NOT gonna happen) all the way to completely filling the entire lower wing and starting over.

My plan will hopefully end up somewhere in the middle of these two options. Im hoping I can adjust the leading edge of rivets inboard as far as I need since there are abutting plates for devices that are perpendicular to those rivet lines, as apposed to the rivet lines on the leading edge continuing all the way to the trailing edge. 

Ive really put it out of my mind as I work to detail the interior, as it seems to give more of a sense of accomplishment, and that is the key I have found with HpH kits; don't view them as the "whole race" you have to view them in segments, with beginnings and endings. That way you can have some sense of light at the end of the tunnel for certain things that don't seem to have any.

If you just start one of their kits, and only picture what the completed model may look like, I found steam runs out quickly, along with motivation. Get motivated to "finish" something, such as the cockpit, or engines, or wheel wells, and you can get some satisfaction out of it, then start that same process on a different section.

Otherwise, if you view it as a whole, its just a never ending series of battles going from one to the next.

The GF and daughter are both in house last night and tonight, so that has put a bit of a damper on bench time, but I will hopefully correct that tonight, and Ill put on some paint on the Tigercat well and cockpit interiors. Im doing it this way (before wiring) so that none of the wires or plumbing Im putting in will get in the way of paint going down on the side walls. I figure since most of it is getting put inside the gun pack unit, it will be fairly modular, so Im hoping I can keep things continuing to fit "well" (that is a loose term Im using for the front wheel well), even after all the plumbing is added. 

Good on yer Brian.

I am currently messing around with the FLY Hurricane spending time on trying to get it to fit "Just so" (certainly a kit that doesn't just fall together) as a precursor to a HPH kit. 

No locating pins, Poor instructions (although that accusation cannot be levelled at the HPH kits) and not the best resin.

Ill get back to you on this one! 

If it helps, The Tigercat looked really impressive when built. Inspiration? 

23865637077_5f9e773e9e_c.jpgIMG_4447 

Edited by Phartycr0c

Pretty much the way I feel Chris. Its a really big disappointment, but its my favorite airframe pretty much of all time, in the only scale I really work in, so looks like a fight it is!    :lol:

I really didn't sign up for any re-scribing, but I guess that is what its going to take. 

I have to weigh in about what I see is unrealistic expectations for perfection.

This is a short run resin kit and due to economies of scale will not be cheap.

From what I can see in these photos, it looks like an amazing kit of an equally exciting aircraft.

If the basic shape of the kit was way off, then I could totally understand griping about that.

Also, if the quality of the resin (bubbles, etc) is bad I also agree with slamming for that.

What we have here is surface detail and that can be fixed with some patience or overcome other ways.

A dark paint scheme make make it not that noticeable.  I would fill the rivets on the leading edge panel top and bottom and be done with it.

Model builders are rough customers by nature.  We're detail oriented rivet counters right?

What I don't want to see is sales of these kits diminished by focusing too much on the negatives.

We want enough of these kits sold to get more down the road, don't we?

Bottom line is, if you pay $320 for a model airplane, you may not have the right to expect perfection, but you do have the right to at least expect that any mistakes made are not as easily preventable as an entire wing section being off.

Making mention of what I feel was an ENTIRELY preventable issue is not focusing on the negative.

It's pointing out what is in MY opinion a very VERY important issue with a kit that is roughly about the same price as I paid for my brand new DSLR camera.

If you have ever built an HpH kit then you know that they are already WAY difficult enough to build without issues like this.

If it were me about to spend over $300 on a model I would DEFINITELY want to know about issues like this before dropping cash like that

Paint is on!! Got two of the 3 MRP greens I'm using in the wheel well down last night, and today I'll get the majority of the interior green down.

Then, it's time to start the nose well wiring and detailing.

Pics soon I promise.....i just keep doing a bit more and the notable process is pic worthy.

This MRP paint is SOOOOOOOOO nice!!!!

Well, I do think the effort from HpH was good, and as a result I have what is essentially my "dream" model, so I cant really complaint that loudly, but the mistake itself and the response to my inquiry about it, are to me, a bit worrisome. 

Ok, enough of this talk/type crap...........lets get to some model pics.................Just letting SmugMug do its thing, and Ill have pics in a min...............

BRB