F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

Some progress.............

Well, she has gained 80% of her control surfaces and it has expanded the wing area considerably. As with E V E R Y T H I N G on this kit, it took a lot of finagling to get all of the flap and aileron parts on, an even remotely sitting where they should. I still have yet to put on the underside PE that covers the flap-gap as it were. The port inner flap is CAed to the top of the engine nacelle atm, but that is actually on purpose, as I had a chunk missing out of that flap after it was installed, so needed to correct that. I will saw it free and create the small gap it needs later after its cured.
Im still working on the rudder and surrounding lower vertical fin, to get a good fit. Still some work to be done for sure. Leaving the elevators painted separately for ease of painting later. Pot of Tamiya paint for size scale of the big girl:

IMG_20211210_220926143_HDR-X2.jpg

IMG_20211210_220939741-X2.jpg

IMG_20211210_221040940-X2.jpg

The inner flaps too a LOT of work  and filling to get in right, but did fit in the end. you can also see the lower gap that will be filled with PE shortly.There are already PE hinges in the flap parts and ailerons:

IMG_20211210_221050776-X2.jpg

The added area of all the flying surfaces really makes her even more of an imposing model. Big, heavy, bulky, and fragile in parts shes coming together, but is becoming increasingly hard to handle (literally) with the delicate spine and attached flying surfaces and newly installed IP cover:

IMG_20211210_221101830_HDR-X2.jpg

IMG_20211210_221130962_HDR-X2.jpg

More............

I've started the PE process with the cowls. The PE side disks got fairly dented in the application process, so had to be filled but still will be fine in the end.  

All of the previously made PE cowl flaps have been assembled from 3 parts per piece, 6 per part for the upper cowl flaps, and glued in. The inside of the cowls received considerable finish sanding and a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1500 black. These will later receive a coat of interior green prior to installation as well as some stainless steel flap actuator rods:

IMG_20211210_221254912-X2.jpg

IMG_20211210_221302235-X2.jpg

IMG_20211210_221314781-X2.jpg

IMG_20211210_221347395-X2.jpg

Skipping around once again, I re-started the landing gear. The next issue that reared its ugly head is that of the incorrect angle of the MLG now. It fits correct, but the side to side angle of the main landing gear body is way too severe. 

IMG_20211210_233854743_HDR-X2.jpg

IMG_20211210_233902128_HDR-X2.jpg

IMG_20211210_233911175_HDR-X2.jpg

Next fight is to get that angle tamed back down, then start in on the outer supports and how I'm going to attach those to the already assembled and painted landing gear parts.

I think after that, it will be on to attempting to finish detail the MLG so I can prime and paint them. After that I have one MORE very dodgy thing to take care of that I almost forgot about, the exhausts!

Cheers till your older! 

Brian - gobsmacked with the engine nacelles!!  As for the LG, it would be nice if Aircorps library had drawings or at least some manuals on the F7F, but they do not.  However I see lots of general arrangement drawings on the web, and if you are guessing at all about the angles of the struts, they can help.  Gotta get it right!!!  

Thanks all! It's inspiring to hear when you are working on a "kit" where nothing clicks together or fits really accurately. Plus, since it's a twin, you usually have to make two if everything, and they usually have to match.

I sound like I'm b@#$*ing a lot, but it's probably closer to a scratch build with a lot of parts that are a basis for a start on the part itself.

This is however a labor of love and I keep looking to the future & getting to have a model of my all time favorite airframe in my all time favorite scale. 

I've also re-stripped the  windscreen, and will wash it and try again on the Future.

22 hours ago, JayW said:

Brian - gobsmacked with the engine nacelles!!  As for the LG, it would be nice if Aircorps library had drawings or at least some manuals on the F7F, but they do not.  However I see lots of general arrangement drawings on the web, and if you are guessing at all about the angles of the struts, they can help.  Gotta get it right!!!  

All true Jay. I do have a set of very nice 1/32nd 3 view drawings that I'll be busting out as well.

In the case if this model I also have to take into account making all of the various MLG struts contact with all of the parts in the nacelles they need to, as some of it is not perfectly aligned or even the exact same length or size. That is part of what is so utterly frustrating about the kit and why its taken so many years to come to fruition, every single thing needs to be either scratch built, or adjusted so its identical with its counterpart or so it actually fits within the confines of the model itself. Quite frustrating, but I've all but come to expect all of it, but its none the easier to deal with when it happens with nearly every single part on nearly every single step.

I'm back on the gear tonight hopefully, as all presents have nearly been accounted for so hoping to grab some bench time.