F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

I started off working back on the engine bearers. After a while I started noticing (and have previously, but didn't dawn on me) that my left arm and hand were cramping up and getting very tired after all the work on the F7F.

It got me thinking what she actually weighs now!

Maybe not the biggest model Ive ever built, but for sure going to be the heaviest.

Heading toward 2 lbs, and not even near done adding resin:

i-FXmMfs4-X2.jpg

i-7GGW4p5-XL.jpg

i-mL6rjHQ-XL.jpg

The brass engine rings have been added to the engine bearers and blended in. They do add a lot of strength and rigidity. First up on the docket was getting the engine rear cases fitted to the engine bodies, so I can easily slide the engines out as needed when working on the exhausts.
This was accomplished by "keying" each engine rear to its respective engine, so that each engine would sit where it needed to be (glued in the engine bearers after detailing) and always at the correct angle. It will be much easier to make the exhausts, as well as paint and detail the exhaust stains. 

I drilled two holes in each engine and corresponding holes in the rear of each engine so that each would only fit one way, as to not mix them up. I then inserted some small brass tubing in the engine rears, and a 1 size larger corresponding tubing in the engine rear. Turned out pretty well I thought:

i-Lzc2RCB-XL.jpg

i-Z6z4JsW-XL.jpg

i-dZQLFm8-XL.jpg

Nice and tight connection!  Then I started looking at the instructions, and looking at the previous HpH build I've been using as a guide....................

I had the blasted rear engine parts on up-side down!!  :BANGHEAD2: 

Yikes. So back to the drawing board!  I filed the two offset holes in each engine, and re-drilled holes to accept the brass rod in the opposite site, so the engine rears were facing the correct way.

It didnt take quite as long as I had thought, but all turned out well in the end. 

The brass tubing keeps the engine rears on to the engines night and tightly, which will aid in getting the exhausts in the exact right place when the time comes. After the new connections were drilled and glued, the engines will actually be supported by the engine bearers instead of the firewall, just like the read deal:

i-X87Kddd-XL.jpg

i-zqnQVp3-XL.jpg

i-Tw2hfmc-XL.jpg

i-ZXJqcDf-XL.jpg

i-trSg7Xf-XL.jpg

All for now, as Im technically off till Monday, but all of next week all I have to do is "be available" but am not required to be at keyboard, so am hoping to get some more significant progress completed.

Cheers all, and happy holidays! 

Just now, Anthony in NZ said:

Wow, brilliant progress Brian...LOVE it!

What version of JB Weld do you get, I see there are a few types?

Cheers Anthony

Thanks Anthony. Its the normal JB Weld in the twin tube pack, and not the kwick set, clear weld, nor any of the specialty welds (wood, plastic, marine ect, ect

jbweldcom_654947038.jpg

Thanks all. I'm still working away on the big cat. The internals of the engine bearers were smoothed after the brass rings were added to the front of the bearers and smoothed in.

Everything was smoothed out as much as it was ever going to be, and a layer of Mr Surfacer 1500 black was laid down:

20201226_210800-X2.jpg

20201226_210816-X2.jpg

Next some MRP interior green was shot on those same areas:

20201226_221918-X2.jpg

20201226_221925-X2.jpg

20201226_221936-X2.jpg

Then, some Tamiya black enamel was added grunge things up a bit:

20201228_182157-X2.jpg

20201228_182201-X2.jpg

20201228_182208-X2.jpg

20201228_182219-X2.jpg

Finally, I sprayed some yellow on the engine oil tanks. I know there was a chance these were GSB or possibly even NMF but I think the likelihood of the tanks being painted in some capacity is high, but I really like the visibility and how they stand out in yellow, so that was it.

I applied some MRP-142 orange yellow to the tanks after spraying the bases of two of them in interior green.
SUPER bright, and SUPER glossy:

20201228_210926-X2.jpg 

They do fit in situ very well though and dont hinder the fit of the nacelle at all:

20201228_210856-X2.jpg

20201228_210902-X2.jpg

After unmasking the green bases on the two rear most tanks, I proceeded to mask off and paint some MRP black on the raised strap areas. After that, I applied some Tamiya black enamel wash. I followed that up with some MRP flat clear, as all 4 of the tanks turned out extremely glossy. Easy to see which tank had the flat applied:

20201231_101409-X2.jpg

20201231_101358-X2.jpg

I will apply some aluminum finish straps to the raised strap areas to finish these off, then will move onto the oil lines and connections leading to the tanks themselves.

Cheers! 

Thanks all, and happy 2021 to you all!!    I know it wont automatically fix everything, but I feel better with this hellscape of a year behind me. 

Just a minor update, with some progress on the MLG well detailing, which includes the water/alcohol and oil tanks.

Work is progressing on the two types of tanks that will reside in the MLG wells. I added some connections (not done painting or detailing them yet) for the piping to them, yet to be completed.

Strapping completed and some Airscale placards added. I still have to finish the detail painting and weathering as well as the connections for the piping. 

Oil on the left, and water/alcohol on the right. 

20210101_181127-X2.jpg

20210101_181131-X2.jpg

20210101_181136-X2.jpg

I also have a small start on the piping and continued detailing of the wells with some lead wire, and some detailing for the engine bearers.

20210101_181437-X2.jpg

20210101_181509-X2.jpg

20210101_181538-X2.jpg

All for tonight, as Im headed down to spray some gloss black on my Lament Configuration

Cheers all!