F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

Thanks guys. Ive been working on a small side project for an LSPer, (Ill let him reveal what it is at his discretion) so have taken a short break from the big cat. No issues there, as I kinda needed it to figure out what I'm going to be doing about the rest of the engine mounts. Ive got a sorta-kinda plan in my head, but have to attempt to implement first. Im planning on fiddling around with things tonight if work isnt a killer as I go on-call today for the next week. 

Cheers!  

Without sounding like a lazybones, it seems to me that all one need do is locate shims into the firewall opening and glue the ring to them.  That would set the ring where you want it.  All the business in the nacelle forward of the wheel well doesn't really need to meet the ring, but part of it should be there for effect.  Is this blasphemy?

Sincerely,

Mark

I have thought about that Mark..............

I'm just not sure my conscience will let me do that or not!

I've got a bit of a plan to see if I can temporarily attach the nacelles to the wings to establish where the ring should be, and will make a small jig on the front of the firewall to hold the engine ring where it needs to be.

If all that fails, then yes, I'll likely just glue the ring to the firewall and go from there on installing the rest of the engine bearers.

Good Lord Brian - what am amazing project!!! Just saw it today.  I did a resin Rutman P-47 in 1/32 years ago, and also a Rutman P-51B.  So I can relate.  Each piece was a "diamond in the rough" requiring lots and lots of work.  Must say they were exhausting efforts.  And you know I love the R-2800.  Great work!  Subscribing.

Thanks once again all!  I've got some pictures to share of tonight's "work" but have to give me a min......................Its "Glamour Shot" time! (I needed some inspiration as a reminder of where I'm heading to)

Pics in a few minutes...........

I was going to return to work on the insides of the nacelles with getting on with the interior green as I needed to install the firewalls on the nacelles to continue the engine bearer work. I cant install the firewalls until the interior green is painted and I cant paint that until I install the last wheel well interior part which is the very tiny square bit of resin that attaches to a similar square bit molded inside the wells to accommodate the MLG. This solution probably will work Ok, and support the very heavy weight of the model (like a the heaviest model I will have EVER made by far, as I have OVER 10oz of lead in the nose alone), as long as its attached well. Although the CA Ive been using throughout seems to work really well, Ill be using the same thing I glued the wings on with, JB Weld epoxy. Its by far the strongest glue Ive ever used, and I have Gorilla, 15 min Hobbypoxy and a few other brands. 

Ill let this set up for a full 24 hours before touching it:

20201202_200629-XL.jpg

20201202_200646-XL.jpg

Since that takes at least 24 hours to dry, I figured I assemble some flying surfaces, the nacelles and cowls and take some glamour shots to remind me where all this is supposed to be heading!

She is ONE BIG BEAUTIFUL GIRL

20201202_192109-XL.jpg

20201202_192132-XL.jpg

20201202_192154-XL.jpg

20201202_192240-XL.jpg

Here is an idea of size on the big Tigercat. This is another single seat US fighter, most are familiar with the Has 1/32nd P-40E. The big F7F pretty much dwarfs it by comparison:

20201202_193121-XL.jpg

20201202_193140-XL.jpg

The other good news which unintentionally resulted from the glamour shots, was the ability to more or less confirm she wont be a tail sitter! 

I busted out the trusty artists pyramids and stacked 5 aside, in roughly the position the main supporting leg of the gear will be. With the solid elevators and rudder on, all 4 flap sets as well as the ailerons, nacelles and cowls, I figured it was also a good time to see if all of that 10+ oz of lead up front was enough...........

I still have both engines to add in front of the CG, as well as not much at all to add behind the CG, so I think Im in good shape!

20201202_193746-XL.jpg

20201202_193821-XL.jpg

20201202_193825-XL.jpg

Mind you, another few mm forward and that 10+ oz wouldn't be enough, so Im hoping all my calculations have been fairly on up to this point, and it seems like they have. 

Ill be back on the nacelles tomorrow barring any disasters at work

Cheers! 

Looking good, Brian!  You're really excelling at a very difficult kit.  I was surprised you are using JB weld.  I used it a long time ago to fix leaks in an aluminum canoe I got second hand from a place that rented them out.  The JB weld never leaked.  Amazing stuff!

Gaz

Thanks gents! 

Gaz,

Yes, JB Weld is an old standby for me! I've used the stuff since back in 2010 and even used it on my other earlier projects like the SU-30. You just have to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that whatever you are gluing is exactly where you want it............otherwise you are NOT getting the parts apart. 

I used in on the F7F wings, and it really held SUPER well, as most any other times I've used it. When you need *absolute* strength, I always go for JB Weld, bar none

On 12/2/2020 at 11:16 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks guys. Ive been working on a small side project for an LSPer, (Ill let him reveal what it is at his discretion) so have taken a short break from the big cat. No issues there, as I kinda needed it to figure out what I'm going to be doing about the rest of the engine mounts. Ive got a sorta-kinda plan in my head, but have to attempt to implement first. Im planning on fiddling around with things tonight if work isnt a killer as I go on-call today for the next week. 

Cheers!  

Looks like you have done some sold work on that animal , Looks really good 

Thanks all!

Just to prove I have NOT stopped work on the big girl, Ive just got a couple of crappy pics......................

Ive been on call this past week. Wed through Wed, so tonight through the weekend Ill have some actual time to devote to the big girl. This was again one of those "not-too-fun" type of stages Im at, but very necessary. At this stage, I needed to get the firewalls glued in, as they were key in getting the engines and engine bearers where they needed to be.

The fit on the two firewalls overall was good. Except for one side of one  of the nacelle exhaust exit ports. Figures.

There are 8 total exhaust ports on the two nacelles, and all of the sides needed a bit of a build up of height to get a nice smooth transition from firewall base to exhaust depression on the nacelle itself. 

So out came the Milliput:

20201205_220232-X2.jpg

20201205_220300-X2.jpg

Things look really messy atm, but trust me, they are actually starting to come together. I'm definitely on my way once the engine bearers are glued up, as that and the MLG are the last really treacherous areas I have left. After that its all more details and assembly and paint. 

Now that my on-call is over, I can start in again on the F7F with a bit more frequency.