F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

Wow, just wow. Finally walked through your whole build thread and you clearly love this aircraft...if not always the kit. I was going to run out of "likes". The patience and time and skill you've expended on this is remarkable, but it's paying off. Frustrations for sure, but you've been pushing through with some clever solutions, despite some nasty surprises.

I am no longer going to complain about the 1/24 Airfix Mustang.

Thanks for the ride so far.

Richard

43 minutes ago, R Palimaka said:

Wow, just wow. Finally walked through your whole build thread and you clearly love this aircraft...if not always the kit. I was going to run out of "likes". The patience and time and skill you've expended on this is remarkable, but it's paying off. Frustrations for sure, but you've been pushing through with some clever solutions, despite some nasty surprises.

I am no longer going to complain about the 1/24 Airfix Mustang.

Thanks for the ride so far.

Richard

Thanks for the very kind words Richard. I'm humbled. I would however preferred NOT to have had to put as much into strange solutions or having to fix the stuff I had to, but as you said, I love the airframe more than any other aircraft out there, but the kit..............not so much honestly. It IS highly detailed and comes with a lot of what you need to get it completed, but the amount of "fixing" that needs to be done is quite over the top in my personal opinion.   I must say, that the general accuracy of the kit overall is good IMHO. 

Im just REALLY dragging my feet, as I currently have two torn disks in my lower back that has cause spinal stenosis (inflammation and narrowing of the sciatic nerve/spinal cord canal) and that in turn has caused sciatica, which causes shooting,stabbing, aching pain in my high butt/glut all the way down my left leg.

Its felt like noting less than torture, and sitting for more than 15 min causes me to twitch and shift my weight constantly to alleviate the pain, and I end up not being able to concentrate on doing anything. It sucks. BAD. 

Nothing I can do about the torn disks, but I'm hoping to be able to somehow alleviate the pressure on my sciatic nerve, as its become unbearable, and several rounds of cortisone injections, and many sessions of PT have done nothing but temporarily take the worst of the pain away. 

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks for the very kind words Richard. I'm humbled. I would however preferred NOT to have had to put as much into strange solutions or having to fix the stuff I had to, but as you said, I love the airframe more than any other aircraft out there, but the kit..............not so much honestly. It IS highly detailed and comes with a lot of what you need to get it completed, but the amount of "fixing" that needs to be done is quite over the top in my personal opinion.   I must say, that the general accuracy of the kit overall is good IMHO. 

Im just REALLY dragging my feet, as I currently have two torn disks in my lower back that has cause spinal stenosis (inflammation and narrowing of the sciatic nerve/spinal cord canal) and that in turn has caused sciatica, which causes shooting,stabbing, aching pain in my high butt/glut all the way down my left leg.

Its felt like noting less than torture, and sitting for more than 15 min causes me to twitch and shift my weight constantly to alleviate the pain, and I end up not being able to concentrate on doing anything. It sucks. BAD. 

Nothing I can do about the torn disks, but I'm hoping to be able to somehow alleviate the pressure on my sciatic nerve, as its become unbearable, and several rounds of cortisone injections, and many sessions of PT have done nothing but temporarily take the worst of the pain away. 

I had the exact thing happen to me last year, on the right side. It took a long time to heal, and I have to be careful not to aggravate it again. 

Goodness Brian...that sounds excruciating! Hard to enough to concentrate on parts that tiny and intricate, never mind doing it while in that kind of pain....and then the manufacturer throws you curve balls. I hope you heal soon, or at least find something that gives you relief!

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, antonlemmy@yahoo.com said:

Any more progress on the Tigercat?

She is still strapped upside down, staring at me longingly from her place resting on my photobooth table.

I'm slowly getting my MoJo back......I have a feeling after this current ZM kit I'm working on, she very well may be up next...........stay tuned!

Thanks guys!  I pass by my poor Tigercat every time I go to the bench. She is indeed looking quite forlorn.   But I have never had her out of my head for long, as she has always been and always will be my first love.........so Im thinking in the back of my mind how I want to proceed on picking her back up again.

The above Tigercat build that Mirek posted has some very valuable pictures and posts in it. Some of the reason why I put her down, was the guesswork that needed to be involved with getting the engine nacelles in place with all the internal engine bearers in place. The pictures in the build above will really go a long way to helping me determine how best to assemble all of the engine nacelle internals, as that is the next step really. 

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Dan B. said:

Brian,  How the BIG Cat doing.  I haven't seen a comment in a while

Thanks Dan, she is still upside down on her own cradle in my workshop. No new progress since the end of 2018.  Although...............

I am wrapping up my Ki-45 (I HOPE!) shortly, and my current plan IS in fact to have the bit kitty make a return to the bench!

After a two year break, and staring at her unfinished for so long, its time to move forward with her...............

Updates to come, as hopefully Ill be picking the big kitty back up this year still!

Cheers