F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

Thank you gentlemen. The kit I feel kind of saps your will at times, so I'm attempting to knock out the monotonous stuff mixed in with stuff like the props and bosses which are things that I can actually see results from and possibly even get completed, which seems like a rare feeling on this model.

I've got the Vector set which did actually help a bit. It must have been a slightly different R2800 model as things didn't line up 100%. But I did manage to get the main cases and the intake manifolds glued together since they are not handed or sided in any way, and are with few exceptions, the same all the way round.

I may try to even to paint the props and similar today mixed in with sanding and removing engine parts from resin pools.

On 9/15/2018 at 10:17 PM, MikeMaben said:

20180907_103441-XL.jpg

Ah yes, the dreaded heat shields!  Its been really hard to continue cutting, scraping and sanding on these, and all the work is X2, with 2 engines. Not fun, but necessary!   Well, in further avoiding these parts I decided to finish the props....................

But to my dismay, the decal sheet HpH includes is very much like an airliner sheet, in that the WHOLE sheet is carrier, and you have to cut out the decals yourself!  Crap.  Well I moved on from those too, and took some time to lay in the arresting hook, and arresting hook covers (one large one that actuates with the hook, and two smaller ones on each side at the base of the hook that allow the hook to drop enough to catch the wire). Its at least something to share while I work out the prop decals and wingtip shapes. 

20180916_204057-XL.jpg

20180916_204108-XL.jpg

20180916_204123-XL.jpg

I thought I glued the main cover on straight, but had to line up the middle strake  with the center line of the two halves of the fuse, but its a still a bit off, and the fit of the main part here was way WAY less than grand. I ended up cutting this OOB strake off, and will sand things smooth, re-scribe then add in a new strake from thin card stock, as the strake on the F7F continues up through the main fuse, but that part is a separate PE part that comes with the kit:

20180916_204123-XL.jpg

I also did actually finish up the bulk of the shaping on the wingtips, but I want to get the majority of the re-scribing done first so I can shoot a thin coat of primer on them to see where I actually am before taking any pics. 

Thanks for dropping in on me! 

On 9/15/2018 at 1:00 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Thank you gentlemen. The kit I feel kind of saps your will at times, so I'm attempting to knock out the monotonous stuff mixed in with stuff like the props and bosses which are things that I can actually see results from and possibly even get completed, which seems like a rare feeling on this model.

I do the same thing all the time, Brian, skipping from more involved things to easy stuff, then back again, just to break the tedium. My work, even to me, seems to have a sort of "helter skelter" look to it, but that's just what seems to work for me.

Thanks guys. Im back on the props as well as the tail hook cover. Im unfortunately encountering a similar issue I had with my Extra, in that a certain area on that cover is really thin, and Im punching through it on the regular trying to establish panel lines. I may have to resort to the same trick I used on my Extra, and that is to inject some clear resin under the area

9 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

I think there's a tutorial on their website.  It gets applied like a normal decal, and then after it dries for a couple of hours, the transfer film gets peeled off.  So you get decals with no carrier film

Matt 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Matt!! I just completely assumed they were water slide. I even read skimmed past several parts in the HpH instructions indicating "wet transfer" and no where no do I see any water slide references, so thats all on me for not paying attention. Ive used the HGW wet transfer decals, and they normally take 6 - 8 hours indicated before removal of the clear carrier.  

9 hours ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

I do the same thing all the time, Brian, skipping from more involved things to easy stuff, then back again, just to break the tedium. My work, even to me, seems to have a sort of "helter skelter" look to it, but that's just what seems to work for me.

It almost has to work for me that way on the T-Cat. I love the airframe so much, and the model is a very nice one, its just the material used, and the method of construction needed really are quite labor and time intensive. 

24 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

omg are you done yet...

:P

:lol: Ur killin me smalls! 

You guys are killin me! :lol:

I did manage to get the wingtip profiles finished. Ill get a coat of primer on these to make sure they are smooth, and so I can see where I'm at in regard to panel and rivet re-scribing, but you can see where I'm at ATM:

20180919_094124-XL.jpg

20180919_094108-XL.jpg

20180919_094128-XL.jpg

20180919_094217-XL.jpg

You can see from this shot, the outside end piece of the trailing edge of the wingtip on the end of the aileron section is a bit shorter on the starboard wing, so I'll be correcting that before primer too:

20180919_094141-XL.jpg

20180919_094133-XL.jpg

20180919_094342-XL.jpg

20180919_094409-XL.jpg

20180919_094245-XL.jpg

I also quickly figured out that the tail hook cover I put on was exceptionally thin, and just like my Extra, I will have to inject some resin under this cover so I can sand on it and rescribe the panel lines. Its SO thin in a couple areas under the smaller side doors, that a light push with a finger and the whole thing flexes in quite a bit:

20180921_131952-XL.jpg

20180921_132010-XL.jpg

All for now gents I'll be shooting a layer of primer on the wings and re-scribing them so I can push forward to the next major step, which will be getting the wings attached, then horizontal stab and vertical stab.

Cheers!