F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

I also just found a brand new clear handle toothbrush if you need it....amazing what you find in your glove box lol

Keep a hold of that sucker! I looked almost EVERYWHERE in my own city for any clear toothbrushes.  Not a damn one to be found................not even travel sized or in the "Dollar store". I couldn't find any to save my soul, and checked about every dollar story, Walgreens, drug store and grocery store there is in town with 0 luck. 

I found a smashed tail light lens on the road, and utilzed it to make a wingtip nav light on my Jetco (1/14)F-51H recently. Had a helluva time finding a green toothbrush for the other wingtip... this is wecome news!

I found a smashed tail light lens on the road, and utilzed it to make a wingtip nav light on my Jetco (1/14)F-51H recently. Had a helluva time finding a green toothbrush for the other wingtip... this is wecome news!

For sure!  I didnt realize that anyone made clear/round/1/2 round ect, ect clear rod either. It was exactly what I needed to make the tip lights, and will be perfect with its smooth flat surface to glue it to then should be able to shape it pretty easy. 

Keep a hold of that sucker! I looked almost EVERYWHERE in my own city for any clear toothbrushes.  Not a damn one to be found................not even travel sized or in the "Dollar store". I couldn't find any to save my soul, and checked about every dollar story, Walgreens, drug store and grocery store there is in town with 0 luck. 

LOL

I also have a used one if you want 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Ol girl is just strapped to the JH stand while her wings sit on the "assembly floor" (piece of large 1.5" thick foam) semi-tapped together. The main section of the bench that I have the F7F on is a mess ATM too, so will have to get a thorough bench cleaning too.

The clear parts for the wing tip lights are not in yet so I've taken some LSPers advice and have been concentrating on the little Extra 330 in a last ditch effort to take it to the NATs in August.

I will be back on the Tigercat soon....

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Looking forward to the the Tigercat getting all your attention and TLC

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter

Gotta agree with "  hooked for life". Seems to me that if I could afford this kit[also my favorite   cat] I would be surprised initially,but would

use my modeling skills to overcome any fixable faults and feel lucky that kit is on the market. As I am sure you will eventually.

As they say S#$#*^T happens.   bigern

c

• 3 months later...

Yes, shes back on the bench....................

I sat down the other day to work on my Speeder bike and on the other side sets the Tigercat, on a freshly cleaned bench. I just sat and looked at it for a few min before picking up my speeder bike, and before I knew it, I had the engine resin pools out and was separating things from side to side. I guess sometimes things just click, so I took advantage of the feeling and utilized the new found motivation for the big cat to start working on the engines and props.

First things first though as I bring back why and where I left off at the last point I worked on the big F7F. I stopped at the point of gluing the two wing sections together in full. After doing that, I figured out that the F7F example that HpH used for their kit, has an odd cut to the outside wingtip. Im not sure if it was a mod, or just a 1 off, or something that is under a bolted on section of the tip. Regardless of what it is, its not correct for 95% or more of Tigercats including the trainer 405 that I am replicating.

You can see what HpH based their wingtip shape off of in the lower left corner:

1985-87.jpg

I looked high and low for clear tooth brushes and what not but NOPE. No where. I bet I looked at 15 or more different stores of varying types. I gave up. I found these however, that despite their high cost, fit the bill perfetly to replicate F7F style wing tip lights while allowing me to work the wingtip into a new shape that I needed:

20180831_235137-XL.jpg

20180831_235145-XL.jpg

Im putting the wingtips off for a bit to get a start on the twin R2800s. This is going to be a LONG process. I almost was thinking about investing in some of the other nice resin ones, but Im pushing on with the OOB ones for now.

I started by separating all the different resin pools between the two engines, so I could assemble them "assembly line style".  his includes the main cases, front trans, mounts, push rod covers, cylinders, heat shields ignition rings prop boss and prob hubs and intake/exhaust rings:

20180901_223000-XL.jpg

20180901_223039-XL.jpg

20180901_223024-XL.jpg

Im going to insert a brass tube 1 size bigger into the front cover than the size of brass tube Im working into the prop hub. These are really nicely molded actually:

20180901_223015-XL.jpg

20180901_223042-XL.jpg

I almost forgot what the big girl looked like on the inside. I really happy with the way the Tigercats cockpit turned out. Shes been silently waiting for me to return to her for quite some time.......

20180831_235238-XL.jpg

20180831_235226-XL.jpg

20180831_235255-XL.jpg

All for now gents. Who knows how progress will commence but I will be continuing on with the big F7F regardless as I keep reminding myself how many chances one has to build his favorite AC of all time in his favorite scale of all time.

Cheers!