F-14B Tomcat 'VF-102 Diamondbacks' - corrected Revell kit

Starfighter

damn Ben

the decal thing sure is FUBAR glad you found the spirit to re mask them I hate it when a perfect paint gets ruined because of varnish issues gets me real angry...it looks stellar so far. Looking forward to your next update my friend keep m coming...

Cheers

Fred

PS to Ben its kitty time...you know what I mean:thumbsup:

Can you not go over the decals again with MrPaint Gloss varnish and use a different matt varnish?  I wonder if the MRP matt is partially dissolving the underlaying gloss to somehow "bond" with it, and that changes the finish where there is decal film.

Beautiful, super big bummer about all your decal issues though, especially that milky effect.

I actually had something similar just happen to me when I was upgrading my old F-4E build: Water from sanding areas I wasn’t happy with somehow made the old decal carrier film (decals laid down with Future) go silver. Strange because the decals were on there super tight with absolutely no slivering. 

Marcel 

19 hours ago, jenshb said:

Can you not go over the decals again with MrPaint Gloss varnish and use a different matt varnish?  I wonder if the MRP matt is partially dissolving the underlaying gloss to somehow "bond" with it, and that changes the finish where there is decal film.

Someone in a Facebook group came up with an explanation which in my opinion is the correct one - the varnish does not actually affect the decal film but the paint around it.The varnish attacks the paint, making it slightly more transparent. This causes the black basecoat to shine through; the varnish cannot alter the paint where the decal film is so the paint actually stays as it was before varnish in these areas. The only solution will be to seal the entire model before applying decals and matt varnish, preferably with a water based varnish. I'll keep you posted...

That's interesting...I've had similar effects when using Tamiya and Gunze paints and clear coats and misting Self-Levelling Thinner  over the clear gloss to "melt" it and make it glossier.  Couldn't understand why the colours became more translucent and let the black base coat more visible...

On 8/17/2020 at 11:30 PM, Starfighter said:

Someone in a Facebook group came up with an explanation which in my opinion is the correct one - the varnish does not actually affect the decal film but the paint around it.The varnish attacks the paint, making it slightly more transparent. This causes the black basecoat to shine through; the varnish cannot alter the paint where the decal film is so the paint actually stays as it was before varnish in these areas. The only solution will be to seal the entire model before applying decals and matt varnish, preferably with a water based varnish. I'll keep you posted...

Ben, that's a great insight, and cautionary tale when considering a choice of clear varnishes.

What are your thoughts on the popular method of combining an acrylic clear gloss, such as X-22, with a mild lacquer thinner like Mr. Color Leveling? Might this formulation attack the underlying paint in the same way?

By the way, great recovery with the paint masks!

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

12 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Ben, that's a great insight, and cautionary tale when considering a choice of clear varnishes.

What are your thoughts on the popular method of combining an acrylic clear gloss, such as X-22, with a mild lacquer thinner like Mr. Color Leveling? Might this formulation attack the underlying paint in the same way?

By the way, great recovery with the paint masks!

Rich

I think this could indeed be the solution for this particular problem. Since I've been using MRP, an underlying gloss coat was not necessary for decal application but I will definitely add one next time. I will keep you posted!