First attempt at Zimmerit. King Tiger/Porsche turret

Lee in Texas

Easy way to do Zimmerit for anyone hesitant to try it. Go to your local hardware store and get(or order online) PC-7 Epoxy paste. Its the consistency of cake icing. Its 2 parts you mix together equally. Use  a toothed piece of metal like you find on the edge of plastic wrap or aluminum foil. There are different tooth sizes so look around a little. You can also use a piece of razor saw blade. I attach the "blade" to my Xacto knife handle or hold it in locking hemostats. Spread the stuff on and texture, just like using a toothed trowel. It has between 30 minutes and an hour of working time, so you can go over it again and again until you get it exactly how you want it. Drys slightly flexible and can be flaked off if you want to show battle damage. Paint seems to stick to it just fine. I actually enjoy doing Zimm with this method, and I have used it to do Zimm on several 1/16 Tigers. Very quick and easy.

Looking good!

I'm not a tank modeler (though I once painted a Tamiya Jagdpanther in the ambush camo scheme at my brother's request for him) but one thing I've noticed on Zimmed tanks are the random bald patches where to coating has spalled off either by gunfire of collision. If I were to do one, I think it'd help show it's a coating on top of the metal. Just a personal taste observation.

I've got the Tamiya Porsche KT in the stash so I may use yours as reference.........

I have read conflicting info on this particular tank; "Anneliese" from the 503rd Heavy Tank Battalion. Some sources say there were two KTs with that name. Some say the winter camo is not field applied whitewash, but a white respray at the factory after repairs. I think it is field applied whitewash. There are pics of the tank having maintenance done and the Balkan cross and 314 number appear to be painted over camouflage and then whitewash applied around it. The number especially. That's why I dry brushed 3 colors into a masked off rectangle, then hand painted the numbers.