Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Black One

Thunnus

here is a picture that shows how much of the undercarriage cover slides" into" the wing.

detail_fw190a8_20.jpgdetail_fw190a8_47.jpg

that is one fo the most informative Dora pics i've seen - thank you

i always wrestled with exactly how the gear door was meant to fit

now i know!

this is one of the best build threads on the Dora i have seen btw - i am learning a lot - so thank you for sharing your modelling skills with us! :)

Edited by nmayhew

Thanks so much for the positive comments!  I appreciate them all!  Rolling on with the build, I am going to skip forward to the painting.  Only minor filling was needed, mostly at the join between the wing root and fuselage.  The windscreen was masked using the Montex mask.  I used the windscreen and canopy pieces to cut masks for the cockpit opening.  I am going to do some hairspray chipping so the wing root area is first painted with Tamiya AS-12 Silver, decanted from a spray can.

IMG_0425.jpg

The painting begins with some pre-shading.  The panel lines are highlighted first.

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

To give the camo paint some tonal variation and depth, I employ a mottling technique.  Essentially the inverse of black-basing but works in a similar way.

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

I start the camo painting on the bottom with a home-brewed mix of RLM 76.  I use primarily Tamiya acrylics shot from a Iwata HP CS Plus.  In order for the mottling pre-shading technique to be effective, I use a highly thinned mix of paint.  Typically, my thinner to paint ratio runs at around 4:1.  With such thin paint, building up a coat takes time.

IMG_0480.jpg

I work a few panels at a time and move across the bottom of the aircraft.  

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

My preference is for a subtle tonal variation that underlies the primary camo colors.  Patience is required and it is always better to apply to little paint than too much.  If you go to far and cover the pre-shading too much, it's very difficult to get it back without starting over so a slow and deliberate painting process works best.  I've also found highly thinned paint to be more fragile and very susceptible to scratches.  I like to place my model on something soft, like a clean cotton t-shirt and I always use latex gloves to avoid fingerprints.

IMG_0489.jpg

The RLM 76 is continued on the fuselage sides.

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

Edited by Thunnus
Photo links restored

Thank you for comments!  Continuing on with the painting of Black 1...

After the RLM 76 was finished, I painted the port wing root RLM 75.  Black 1 was repainted from a RLM 83/75 scheme to a RLM 83/82 and I intended to do two layers of chipping at the wing root to expose both the metal and the RLM 75 underneath the newer RLM 82.  I also marked the delineation between the 83/82 with 75.  I figured that I could leave hints of RLM 75 at the borders to indicate the re-painting but it didn't quite work out.

IMG_0545.jpg

The RLM 75 on the port wing root is chipped.

IMG_0551.jpg

The RLM 82 is then added.  The pre-shading effects get less prominent as the colors get darker.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

The darker RLM 83 is applied next.

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

The mottling has not yet been applied.  Mottling is always tough for me to get right so I really need to concentrate on the task. 

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

Edited by Thunnus
Photo links restored

After the 82/83 were applied to the upper surfaces, I performed some hairspray chipping at the wing roots.  Remember the 2-layer chipping that I was shooting for on that port wing root?  Pretty much a fail since there was such little contrast between the silver and the RLM 75.  It didn't turn out badly but it wasn't worth the effort to do it twice.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

The mottling was applied to the sides using both 82 and 83.  I continued the 82 up through the tail, keeping in mind that it will be masked off and painted yellow.

IMG_0602.jpg

A gloss coat is used to seal the camo finish up to this point.

IMG_0605.jpg

The black and white ID bands are painted on the fuselage and masks are placed on the painted tail for the future W.Nr. and swastika.

IMG_0611.jpg

The yellow tail and lower engine cowling are painted yellow.  I had a heck of a time with paint lifting on this build... such a headache!  I find that very thin paint mixes are very susceptible to paint scrapes, chips and lifting.  The lifting was coming off all the way to the plastic so I think I had some issue with finger oils or something like that.

IMG_0618.jpg

After all of the paint repairs, here's how Black 1 looks.

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Next up are the markings and decals.

Edited by Thunnus
Photo links restored

Sorry to see the paint lifting

Also odd that the primer came off as well

I'm on my phone now so navigation is limited - can you remind us what primer and what paints you used?

All the best

Nick

Marvelous build in every way John! I've been drooling over the pictures of the building- and painting process taking note of every step...

Just incredible modelling...

If my models come out halve as good as this Dora-9, I'll be more then happy.