Aerotech Supermarine S5

TorbenD

Torben,

I haven't looked in on this in quite a while (my forgetful nature...sorry) but you've really gone a long way to put the 'sleek' back into this plane.  You've taken a lot of brave steps, and I have to say I'm very impressed with your progress.

Keep up the great work,

Gaz

A lot off work to do but you are doing great on that kit

Mark

Thanks Mark - likewise with yours... one day I too will get around to painting! 

Assuming you already know of G-BDFF, the ill fated flying replica S5 of the 70's/80's. A short reference to reviving the project here http://theflyingboatforum.forumlaunch.net/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1531

Yes I do thanks - very sad how that all worked out. I hope they get around to reviving it again, it would be thrilling to see one in the air.

Torben,

I haven't looked in on this in quite a while (my forgetful nature...sorry) but you've really gone a long way to put the 'sleek' back into this plane.  You've taken a lot of brave steps, and I have to say I'm very impressed with your progress.

Keep up the great work,

Gaz

Cheers Gaz - much, much appreciated - slowly slowly does it.  :blink:

Torben-

I have said it once, I will say it again....You sir, are the man!

Now, where is that P-39?

THOR

Thanks THOR, please don't make this man blush! The P-39 is taking a small holiday at the back of my modelling hanger - rest assured she ain't forgotten. Just for you...

DSC02433-X2.jpg

Just catching up with this great build thread! Really like what you are doing!  :thumbsup:

Dan

Much appreciated Dan - I need all the encouragement I can get as I start yet another round of filling and sanding  :unsure: 

Onwards...

I have finally chosen which of the S5's to go with - The first, N219, probably how she appeared in the 1929 race as this is the most colourful. N219 differed from 220 and 221 mainly in that her riveting was not flush and the starboard float was longer than the port one to help offset the propellor torque on take off - There are other minor differences which I'll cover later on in the build when I get to them.

Some written references refer this starboard float to be 12 inches longer than the port so I inserted a thick plastic shim to the correct scale length...

G_DSC02420-X2.jpg

Then added some Milliput to bring out the width - at the same time deciding to fill in the inspection hatch dimples as these where not 100% round in some cases and also varied in depth so when adding the circular photo-etch covers I felt it would be impossible to get a controlled/neat finish without filling them, then later routing out to the perfect disc shape and depth myself for the PE covers to fit flush on. I do hope this works out... :mental:

G_DSC02421-X2.jpg

...and after sanding...

G_DSC02428-X2.jpg

More later, I gotta dash as final found time to see the Last Jedi with my son

TTFN

Torben

Guest Peterpools

Torben

Nice detective work on the floats ... never would have ever guessed the floats were of different length to counter act takeoff torque. The mods look excellent

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Man, that's a lot of work cleaning up all the surfaces and thinning the edges. It's going to look much better done your way. Looking at the linked pictures, it's suprising just how small this aircraft is. Really not much more than an engine and cockpit.

Don

Torben

Nice detective work on the floats ... never would have ever guessed the floats were of different length to counter act takeoff torque. The mods look excellent

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter, part of the pleasure (and pain) I get from this hobby is the quirks of engineering; that coupled with the history, with the emphasis on the ‘story bit 

Man, that's a lot of work cleaning up all the surfaces and thinning the edges. It's going to look much better done your way. Looking at the linked pictures, it's suprising just how small this aircraft is. Really not much more than an engine and cockpit.

Don

Cheers Don, it is totally as you describe, it feels like more of a 1/48 scale kit than 1/32

Nice work on the float.

If I may, you need to beef-up a bit more the rear part of the lengthened float to smooth the curve somewhat ...

:popcorn:

Hubert

Thanks Hubert - your sharp eyes are not mistaken  :ninja: - see my next post for my rethink/tweak

I bet one float was modified to be shorter than the other - it would be easier to saw the end off rather than stick a bit on in full size.

Richard

Cheers Richard, apparently all made bespoke to engineer calculated drawings - clever stuff. The Starboard float also contained the fuel tank, or rather the fuel tank was an integral part of the structure - all designed by Mitchell to save weight and control the torque.

Onwards...

Having lengthened the starboard float, I got the feeling that something wasn't quite right - it just felt like too much of an extension compared with all the photographs and plans I could find. It also caused the float to visually taper to too fine a point as Hubert just pointed out. Further research on N219 at the period I'm interested in indicates that the difference was only 4.5 inches (18'10.5" vs 18'6"). Whether or not the original writen reference of 1 foot was incorrect or the float had been adjusted/rebuilt from the original after the initial trials I don't know but it allowed me to trim back the extension an therefore reduce the tapering to something looking far better. 

G_DSC02432-X2.jpg

As you can see above I also rounded the profile to match references. 

One final point on this stage: on the rear of the port float Aerotech have added a small rudder which is incorrect from all I can tell - there is absolutely no photographic or written reference I've come across so far that indicates any rudder. Gut feel is that they have misinterpreted some plans of the S5. When looking at side views from the port POV the extended starboard float pokes out further (and visually behind) port float and this extension can look like a small rudder on the port float. Either way, the moulded in slot for this rudder was filled in with superglue and accelerator, and sanded to match.

A bit more in a moment...

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Having made the decision to fill in the inspection panels on the floats I did the same on the fuselage.

G_DSC02423-X2.jpg

Whilst I was handling the fuselage, despite my pegs the rudder came off - I took this opportunity to re-Milliput and clean up all the joins in this area - it looks a bit messy now but hopefully not too much extra work.

G_DSC02425-X2.jpg

more sanding....

G_DSC02430-X2.jpg

G_DSC02429-X2.jpg

I bit more refining on the cockpit edge and ho hum, I'll hopefully soon be free of the major shape revisions.

Thanks for looking

Torben

My references say the float was designed with a one foot extension behind the step, but I trust your research has yielded more accurate data. BTW, this lengthened float only applied to N219, the other two reverted to equal length floats, which is why some drawings may create some confusion ...

Finally, on the float subject, the starboard float was 6 inches further outboard from the centerline compared to the port one ... Mitchell's last trick to offset the torque of the Napier Lion engine, with the lengthened float containing the fuel tanks.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers