Aerotech Supermarine S5

TorbenD

The top and base of the fuselage fully joined I filled the large gaps  with Milliput and following a few rounds of sanding, refilling, priming I finally reached the stage where I could start thinking about adding some surface detail.

Before I can add the distinctive radiators I needed to start the wing to body fillets. First the shape was masked up using flexible electricians tape:

DSC02971-X2.jpg

Then my usual technique of Mr Surfacer 500 using several layers - I was too heavy handed my first attempt and ended up with a gloopy mess so had to completely redo everything! 

DSC02972-X2.jpg

Once fully dry it was then sanded back to the tape height:

DSC02975-X2.jpg

The tape then removed - really happy with this effect :D - I just have to top and tail the join across the fuselage  but I’ll do that after I’ve fitted the legs and blended that all in.

DSC03029-X2.jpg

More a bit later

Torben

Talking of radiators I felt both the supplied etched and resin versions weren’t up to scratch. Apart from being a bit small, the former was angular in profile, the resin version too vague and inaccurate so using half round sections of Evergreen a started to create my own

DSC02947-X2.jpg.

DSC03044-X2.jpg

Much better and the size is accurate - This will also allow me to curve around the fuselage and add rivets should I take that challenge on.

Screen%20Shot%202017-11-19%20at%2020.28.

That’s me pretty much up to date with the build.

I have to admit after my very trying experience with the ailerons I’m not 100% sure how I’m going to get on with re-scribing all the engine panels - I’ll have to grasp that particular nettle when I’m seriously in the mood for punishment.

Thanks for looking

Torben

Thx Gaz, Kev, Juraj and Fvdm.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, Fvdm said:

Wat a great looking plane this is. The kit requires a lot of perserverance but I think it is in capable hands. :goodjob:

I couldn’t resist a quick reminder what I’m actually building... Just a quick dry fit so the legs are a little off but you get the picture;

DSC03033-X2.jpg

DSC03038-X2.jpg

You’re right - she’s a great looking plane... just being a bit  of a “madame” to put together!!!

Torben

• 7 months later...
On 9/28/2019 at 8:40 PM, monthebiff said:

Bump, Any progress on this superb build Torben?

Regards. Andy 

Thanks for the complement Andy! - feeling guilty about this one as she stares down at me from her work stand but as per my Winkle Brown P39 build I’ve had to have a longish modelling break mainly due to other pesky life stuff getting in the way. I’m hoping to come back to both as the nights get a little longer. 

On 9/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Mighty impressive build!
I wish someone would release injected plastic kits of the Schneider Cup racers in 1/24.

Cheers Woody - much appreciated - 1/24 racers? Now that would be a proper treat! 

As N219 was the only one not flush riveted so may well be using some of your marvelous products as part of the mix ;-)

Torben

13 hours ago, TorbenD said:

Cheers Woody - much appreciated - 1/24 racers? Now that would be a proper treat! 

As N219 was the only one not flush riveted so may well be using some of your marvelous products as part of the mix ;-)

Torben

The Archer rivets that you have probably aren't the best choice for that aircraft, and I believe that you purchased them before we released them specifically for aircraft. If you want to, I'd have no problem exchanging them for the new sheets. PM me if you're interested.

Man, I cannot believe no one has ever done a large scale M.C. 72. 

• 1 year later...