Aerotech Supermarine S5

TorbenD

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Peter, Andy and Alain for all you kind words.

Well, this one has kicked on a little bit further than my usual glacial pace courtesy of a bit of downtime at work in between projects so I may spread this over a few posts

First up I finished adding the foundation rim edging structures to the floats - just have to scribe and add back more accurate riveting. I say “just” but think this may take quite a while... :wacko:

DSC02942-X2.jpg

DSC02944-X2.jpg

DSC02946-X2.jpg

Next up comes the biggy in terms of moving on namely I’ve finally got around to joining the fuselage top and base/wings together!

I have to admit I’ve not documented the final assembly of all the cockpit elements  - save that I added Radu’s superlative Sutton Type A harness shown flailing around here before fully wrangling into shape against the seat cushion and floor...

DSC02904-X2.jpg

DSC02907-X2.jpg

DSC02910-X2.jpg

.. but they are now all in there under a very carefully constructed shield of mask and maskol covered sponge inserts.

As you can see I had to drill and pin the two halves with some heavy gauge brass rod - this was done not only for having the most secure join but also to help correct a slight warping on the upper fuselage between the cockpit and tail. I suspect this warping has happened during the build not from the original resin cast. You’ll also see I’ve slipped the wings forward 1.5-2mm to match my references.

Once the glue was fully set, I trimmed the excess brass rod and used White Milliput to repair all the joins and completely fill in the area where the coolant pipes run down the side as I’m going to replace the kit supplied ones (to be completed next I hope). After that all set and loads and loads of careful sanding, and a bit more Mr Surfacer followed by loads and loads of careful sanding... etc etc I came up with something finally starting to resemble and actual aircraft!

DSC02911-X2.jpg

DSC02912-X2.jpg

DSC02915-X2.jpg

More a bit later...

Torben

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Excellent stuff Torben, looks like some serious sanding going on there.

Regards.Andy 

Ha! Thx Andy I’m covered in a fine dusting of Mr Surfacer at the end of each session.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very nice progress Torben!   I like the look of the cowling a lot on these old sea plane racers. 

Cheers Brian, I‘m rather partial to them myself. Hopefully won’t be my last Schneider Plane but this one sure is pushing me... :huh:

A bit more to share...

Once assembled I realised some things that were meant to be circular were decidedly not! At least on the outside...

DSC02914-X2.jpg

The spinner, whilst good in profile didn’t look sharp or smooth enough and that cap-line was as deep and wide as the English Channel.

DSC02921-X2.jpg

I’d already started thinning the width of the blades a while back but in order to sort the spinner out I had to remove them - carefully drilling out holes in both blades and spinner to accept narrow brass rod pins.

The blades were build back up lengthwise with Milliput and will be reworked later on so they are even more thin and have a sharp join when re-attached to the cleaned up spinner.

DSC02922-X2.jpg

The spinner was then covered in a thin layer of Milliput and set aside to thoroughly cure - Left brass rods placed in the pin holes so that they wouldn’t be fllled in.

DSC02923-X2.jpg

Once fully set I removed the pins and put the hub in the chuck a slow speed mini-drill I have (Letter to Santa... a lathe would be nice!) Using sanding sticks and emery sponges I gradually remove most of the Milliput to create a wonderfully smooth profile to the correct shape (or near it - it may need a fraction more taken off the nose...) At the same time, whilst spinning I reinstated the cap-line with  a sharpened dental tool

DSC02934-X2.jpg

DSC02936-X2.jpg

I then cut a rough circle of plastic card to create the correct shape of the fuselage nose. 

DSC02925-X2.jpg

First cleaned up in the mini drill - then when near in shape finally cleaned up whilst push-fitted to the back of the revised nosecone - 

DSC02930-X2.jpg

The nose section was then filed back and flattened to take the new circular ending.

DSC02941-X2.jpg 

Any overlapping shapes of the cowling were then carefully trimmed to fit this and that where I stand.. pretty pleased with this latest push... 

DSC02940-X2.jpg

DSC02937-X2.jpg

but still with a way to go! 

Thx for looking

Torben

Torben,' 

I was thinking about this model yesterday.  I haven't been as present lately in the forums, and I'm glad to see you've made excellent progress.  The interior and new spinner look great!

Gaz

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2018 at 6:59 AM, matejko77 said:

It will be a great model!

I see that it requires a lot of work, I like it. I have to buy such a cool and interesting model model.

Good luck at the finish

:goodjob:

A belated thank you - I’m sure you would make a truely wonderful job and in a fraction of the time!

On 11/28/2018 at 7:45 AM, Gazzas said:

Torben,' 

I was thinking about this model yesterday.  I haven't been as present lately in the forums, and I'm glad to see you Ch've made excellent progress.  The interior and new spinner look great!

Gaz

Cheers Gaz - been tied up with too much work and life stuff.... That and stuck in a long series of do’s and redo’s on various sections... :BANGHEAD2:   I think this model must be 99% primer and Mr Surfacer by now!

My biggest ‘bete noire’ has been the wing/ailerons join. In order to correct the size and shape of ailerons and further refine the shape of the wings and these flaps which flow around full curve at the rear edge I ended up fully securing the flaps reasoning that I could scribe and cut the join as I didn’t want to animate them.

Once fully blended in and shaped to the correct profile I set too with my razor saw and RB scriber. For numerous reasons, mostly my inability to scribe or cut straight over the mix of resin, plastic card and superglue I ended up trying to do it this way 4 or 5 five times before taking my dremel and cutting the b****rds off

The lack of photos to this point is perhaps understandable.... After a break I spent a bit of time repair and rebuilding so I got straight edges on the contact points. Only 5-6 more goes - fit, prime, sand, repeat, fit, sand repeat...etc I ended up here... still not 110% perfect... When separate both look extremely straight and true - when joined it shows up every single miniscule wobble. Grrrr...

DSC03019-X2.jpg

DSC03025-X2.jpg

Perhaps I’m being too hard on myself - maybe a little less depth will help. The undersides look  better/cleaner. Certainly looks better at a bit of distance. I’m less concerned about the same hinge join at the elevators flaps (dry fitted here) as these will be dropped slightly so any tiny flaws will be less noticeable.

DSC03020-X2.jpg

More a little later

Torben

Torben,

I'm glad to see some more progress!  I know we can all be too hard on ourselves as we try and retry to get the look we want.  I think your work looks great!

I'm terrible at rescribing.  Can't scribe a straight line more than a couple CM long without stuffing it up.  And they never look neat, even if I can get them straight. 

I applaud your efforts, and want to see this bird in completed glory!

Gaz

1 hour ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Hi Torben!

Great to see progress on the S5! I see what you mean about the ailerons. I wonder if they fit so tight in reality. Would not the leading edge of the ailerons have a bit of a curve. If so, that would make any slight irregularity much less apparent.

Alain

Thx Alain, they appear to be quite flat/box fronted from the references I have so I might just soldier on and get it as neat as I can. If it wasn’t going to be silver I might get away with a bit more...

38 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Torben,

I'm glad to see some more progress!  I know we can all be too hard on ourselves as we try and retry to get the look we want.  I think your work looks great!

I'm terrible at rescribing.  Can't scribe a straight line more than a couple CM long without stuffing it up.  And they never look neat, even if I can get them straight. 

I applaud your efforts, and want to see this bird in completed glory!

Gaz

Thx Gaz - me too, me too. 

Edited by TorbenD