Aerotech Supermarine S5

TorbenD

Very nice work! 

Juraj

Thanks Juraj, much appreciated.

Very nice Torben !

Just a small comment.

IIRC, the valve covers of the engine were exposed directly in the airstream, to aid cooling of the Napier Lion.

The fairings of the engine, between the filled-in panel lines, are thus in fact the actual valve covers of each row of cylnders. Therefore, considering the design of the Lion, their sides should be absolutely parallel, with no sign of taper.. whereas the left cylinder bank seems to show some taper towards the front...

Nothing that an expert use of Milliput can't cure, though ;).

Hubert

Okay Hubert, I surrender!

In the back of my mind I knew this fact but in my haste for positive progress I “forgot†to first address this by taking the Aerotech master as more gospel than I should, figuring (wrongly) there may be a bit of aerodynamic flare/slack in the fitment of the cowels over the cylinder heads  :doh:

The more I look the more it is off. It's a case of more haste less speed and I will have to fix  :fight:  in his case both side cylinder banks will need addressing, the left slightly more than the right. At least the fix is fairly simple, main issue now is how to recover the PE without damaging it. Thanks for pointing this out straight away... painful that it is now, it could have made life very tricky later on.

Torben

Torben

Holy Cow ... fantastic progress and the IP, way beyond anything I could do.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter, I'm not fully convinced much is beyond you on the modelling front!  :bow:

Torben

Hi Torben,

Great build, I have been following with interest.

There is a dimensioned 4 view of the engine in the flight magazine archive that might be usefull here:-

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1928/1928%20-%200309.html

Malc.

Thanks for following along Malc  - yup it's a great reference isn't it, I've previously been through all these old Flight Magazines from 1927-32 and gleaned as much as I can, there's some lovely stuff in there.

Torben

Hi Torben,

Great work. These Aerotech kits are quite alot of work aren't they! Still, with all that work they turn out very nice in the

Cheers,

Eric.

Cheers Eric - I blame you for all this  :fight:  Having seen how you turn these Aerotech into such stunners was one of the inspirations to give one ago! No regrets but plenty of patience.... onwards!

Talking of blame - Hubert, this one's for you...  :ninja:

There was no escape, unfortunately a small bit of Milliput would not fix the alignment issue, especially on the port side.

As was: Clearly nothing has ended up parallel to the main central cylinder bank:

DSC02477-X2.jpg

As i'd spent a bit of effort faring in the PE to the channel I'd made I decided to  chop out a large chunk of the block.

DSC02479-X2.jpg

Having cut out and evened up even more material I used plastic card to give myself and squared up socket against which I could sand and fettle the remaining section withe the PE attached

DSC02481-X2.jpg

DSC02482-X2.jpg

Once I was completely happy that the cylinder banks were running totally parallel they were fixed in and once dry roughly sanded back into shape.

DSC02486-X2.jpgDSC02488-X2.jpg

Some Milliput and more rough sanding and the corrected shape is starting to appear...

DSC02499-X2.jpg

DSC02496-X2.jpg

DSC02497-X2.jpg

Looks a little (lot) messy but the shape is so much better - next stage is out with my trusty MrSurfacer and yet more sanding... Phew

Torben

On the Starboard side the misalignment was not so out and required a slightly less drastic solution. In this case I first carefully peeled off the PE shroud and then inserted some thin plastic sheet shims to build out bank so it flares slightly at the front to make everything squared up and parallel.

DSC02483-X2.jpgDSC02485-X2.jpg

This was then sanded back until the correct shape and dimensions had been achieved. The PE was then reattached so all was definitely parallel and again reshaped with Milliput to further re-correct the shape

DSC02490-X2.jpg

DSC02489-X2.jpg

DSC02495-X2.jpg

Phew!... now where did I put that Mr Surfacer?

Torben

Wow Torben! It is fantastic to see how much you care to achieve the correct shapes for this model.

It is interesting to see a way many of us seem to take when making a model. At first, we tend to trust what is offered us as essentially accurate, then when work and knowledge of the subject progresses, we find more and more problems with the kit. Some problems, like the exhausts in your kit, might only become obvious when it is all assembled and you can compare to the real subject! After all that, we can decide what we will do...live with it, or take things apart and start over like you have. I'm glad you did and the results speak for themselves!

Still wonder if starting with a square block would take less time in the end!

Keep up the great work!

Alain