KH AH-6J/MH-6J instructions up

Dave Williams

Can't believe that in 2017, we have a manufacturer who represents raised rivets (which are a prominent feature of the real thing) with hundreds of inverted “dimplesâ€. For me, it is a deal breaker. Might as well just go with raised panel lines. One step forward, one step back KH.

rivets would get most probably sanded away as you build the thing

I hardly ever succeeded to protect them whenever sanding was required

For that reason I personaly prefer engraved rivets because it gives me more flexibility

I can leave them or fill them and use their location to replace them with transfer

Raised rivets once sanded are gone, their location is gone as well, and much harder to redo

On the little bird, I agree they need to be raised but I'd rather place them myself with archer rivets. That way I can ensure their line are not broken

I'm glad to see a little bird. What we'll really need now is a crew and a good load of delta guys on the benches :)

I have been thinking of that dio for ages :)

Edited by red Dog

Can't believe that in 2017, we have a manufacturer who represents raised rivets (which are a prominent feature of the real thing) with hundreds of inverted “dimplesâ€. For me, it is a deal breaker. Might as well just go with raised panel lines. One step forward, one step back KH.

I can sympathize with the sentiment, but name another company in 2017 that is doing all raised rivets?   My point is that generally every manufacturer weighs the benefits and downfalls to each method, and 9/10 raised rivets just dont hit the mark.   As RD pointed out there are many reasons companies dont go with them, and many reasons 95% of manufacturers went away from them, even on kits where the 1:1 actually had them. 

I know the 1/32 and 1/48 AH-64 kits have correct raised rivets, and in my experience they end up getting wiped out around the seams, and then when you replace them, you have to find or make replacements of about the same size (not too big and not too small, or else that will stick out much like leaving a blank spot where the seam was).

On the little bird, I agree they need to be raised but I'd rather place them myself with archer rivets. That way I can ensure their line are not broken

:)

So it's easier to replace everything with Archer decals (which keep in mind means you probably need to fill in the recessed ones to get a good surface for the decals) vrs having to only replace a few that are lost to sanding? I'd rather KH just left the surface smooth in that case.

As said above is that when you replace a few, you never have the same rivets. it creates spacing, widths and all kind of issues which to my eyes are very visible.

With a smooth surface you have to do a lot of research and tracing to draw them right.

With filled recessed ones, you still see them (putty vs plastic) and you can use that as a template to place the archer's rivets for instance

Or if you're lazy, just wash the recessed rivets with a oil paint and call it done

So in the end you get more flexibility with the way KH chosed to proceed.

To me it is not a step backward. It's a good compromise  

Good LORD, they packed a lot of detail in on this thing, I hope the fit is better than the ol' Dragon kit.  Rivets or not, it's a must have for me.  One thing I found odd, however; the first marking options show a 6-bladed main rotor and four-bladed tail rotor.  I don't see any provisions for these in the sprues, only the 5-main and 2-tail version.  I do see 6 main rotor blades, but not the associated head.

Re: the crew, I wonder if the Reedoak figures for the H-60 would work.

Thanks for sharing!

Ski

Edited by Usmcski

That's interesting about the rotor blades. But I've got the Black Ops Models AH-6J Conversion Kit which has the 6 blade rotor head and the 4 blade tail rotor. It also contains the under nose FLIR turret, which seems to be missing in the kit as well. I've got 1 on preorder from Freetime Hobbies and I'm going to up that to a second kit.

Chuck

Those are to guide your drill for adding raised rivets! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tichy-Train-Group-8017-Scale-Rivet-Heads-pkg-200-020-05cm/381986832281?epid=659177513&hash=item58f0307f99:g:ceUAAOSw32lYtwfe

Edited by TwoHands