tjtx

Felixstowe N4297

Thanks guys, work is nuts and I'm back to rigging my Snipe so a minor delay on the Felix. No biggy since the paint has to dry.

For my wood I currently spray a base coat of light brown and light tan depending on the finished wood color. Then I apply oil paint, mostly burnt umber so far on this build. I dab it on in a few spots with a pointer brush, then start brushing across the piece with ever widening brushes. This smoothes and adds the "grain". It's very easy once you try it and since the oil paint dries slowly you have tons of time to rework it and adjust it till your happy.

Edited by tjtx

Great effect with the wood and thanks for sharing your wood techniques. I'm not really a WWI fan but I do like the Felixstowe and will be following along.

Change of plans. I've studied the color scheme I was planning and another for the past few days. I kept coming back to the blue striped bird as the one that really draws my eye so I decided to switch over to that before I get too far.

20171226_124847-L.jpg

The colors and lines just look right to me and I'll be the one staring at the completed build. Bonus points, the wife agrees.

She's coming along beautifully.

I actually prefer your first choice color scheme, but those bright "Dazzle" schemes are fantastic too.

I keep thinking I HAVE TO build this plane, but then I wonder where I'm going to stick 36" of wingspan.

Eventually I'll attempt it.

Keep up the good work!

That's a beautiful paint scheme that is the one I chose to build when I build mine I have no idea just a white and blue stripes make it striking

Will be following along with the build

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Tony

Belatedly, merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. I hope you had a great time surrounded by family!

New scheme looks great, looking forward to more developments!

Karim

Thanks guys. It was a fine Christmas albeit busy with 9 people at the house. That's kept me out of the office but I'll be back to work shortly on the Felix. I switched to the new scheme because it's beautiful to me and I was really afraid of getting the construction just right. I really want this to come out nice, so a scheme switch it was.

Thanks guys. It was a fine Christmas albeit busy with 9 people at the house. That's kept me out of the office but I'll be back to work shortly on the Felix. I switched to the new scheme because it's beautiful to me and I was really afraid of getting the construction just right. I really want this to come out nice, so a scheme switch it was.

Looking forward to more magic !

K

This goes firmly in the "I hope this works caregory":

20180101_123359-L.jpg

I have already applied the rust and steel colors, now I'm going to spray the battleship grey. I know the actual aircraft wasn't too badly weathered but it seemed the trollies got beat up quickly.