alaninaustria

Do you want Revell to release a new tool 1/32 P-51B??

Remember the old Revell P-51B? Remember how they released a "D" soon thereafter. Two or three releases for the "D" {Miss America, Old Yeller, and Smithsonian)? They were happy to go from a "B" to a "D". While both kits were of "Classic" accuracy they apparently were both successful resulting in multiple releases.

I do ... did ... http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=71301&p=977790

Finally that discussion is amusing. We do not know what Revell is currently preparing for 2020 and there is some probability some people are already working on that project but simply cannot talk about it. Wait and see. And if you are too impatient get the old B and the new D and just make one yourself!

This is where I think we may be out of step with major kit manufacturers.

I don't think that the B model does necessarily have a well known history to the casual modeller. The D is the prototypical Mustang model.

Having said that, my thesis is blown out of the water with Tamiya's treatment of their 1/32 Spitfire range, where they get a Mk.VIII, Mk.IX and a MK.XIV out. I'm amazed there is such a market for variances of the Spitfire - without touching earlier versions - whilst the Mustang is limited to the D?

All very strange.

Then they need to be educated how insignificant the D model was compared to the B/C and Thunderbolts (Razorbacks) in crushing the Luftwaffe really.. :)

I agree, it looks better, but it was not the ones who did the job and was the important model...

I seriously doubt that historical relevance (importance) plays 'any'

role in subject selection by 'any' kit manufacturer.

I seriously doubt that historical relevance (importance) plays 'any'

role in subject selection by 'any' kit manufacturer.

This is true or we would not have multiple models of the Do335 or Horten or anything Kurt Tank drew on a scrap of toilet paper......

Cool, sure, historically significant, debatable.....

Zach

This is true or we would not have multiple models of the Do335 or Horten or anything Kurt Tank drew on a scrap of toilet paper......

Cool, sure, historically significant, debatable.....

Zach

For some people scale models are just a bit of fun hobby, whereas for others it is like a shrine for "honouring" something historic. History/politics can be a minefield, one man's hero is another man's villain. Manufacturers tend to avoid the political angle, largely. Most manufacturers I know do what they do "because it will sell" or "because it is interesting" not "because it is historically significant". There are plenty of "historically significant" items that will never sell. 

Radu 

There are plenty of "historically significant" items that will never sell. 

Yep, it's more about the 'coolness' factor.    :coolio: