HPH 1/32 F7F-3P Tigercat conversion to a F7F-3N

bevelduc

Well, I do not have the ID kit but have the Combat one somewhere. Out of my memory, the only specific nightfigthers parts that may be used are the nose, the tail and the rear canopy. The nose is not really exquisite and it has yet to be demonstrated the contours are similar enough to put it on the resin kit without heavy surgery. The radar station canopy is in fact just a flat strip of clear that is rounded in one dimension. So you do not need a vacform part for that. To me the tail is the most interesting part. However, getting a vac kit for that single part, well you get my point...!

If I was interested in that conversion and had no vac kit in my closet, I would do the work myself as I am not sure this would ask for more time than trying to recycle the vac parts...

My 2 cents.

T.

The HpH kit is actually a base F7F-3, and not a "P". The P is actually the N night-fighter with the rear radar operators cockpit and a standard -3 shorter nose. As to the differences, the tail has a panel line or two different between the base F7F3 and the N nightfighter, but thats it for the vertical stab.

The main differences between the N model and the base -3 are the longer nose and the rear cockpit. There doesn't seem to be any difference to the length of the fuselage either.

The "P" model is what September pops used as a base for "Big Boss Man", and it basically is an "N" seen here with the same basic vertical fin, save some panel lines, the rear radar cockpit, and a standard F7F-3 nose.

eb05a14b028106c7-L.jpg

Ok! So the kit has the taller tail. I thought it has the earlier one. In such a case, I do not think a vac kit has much to offer.

Ive got the Combat vac kit Thierry, and  I think you are correct. However, the Combat kit does come with the standard F7F-3 nose, but also comes with the N model nose. For the P model, I think you are correct, in the the Combat kit would likely not have a whole lot to offer for the  $100-something that gets charged for the vac kit.

The 32nd scale 3-view plans that come with the Combat kit however, are really nice, and very well done, but Im not sure if they justify the cost of the kit. The rest of the vac kit is..................

Well, my copy looks like someone threw sand in the vac mold before they pulled it. NOT a great copy, in any light. 

I am remembering my kit was not that bad. It was an old release whith white metal parts and decals. However, old plastic becomes brittle. So, I would not recommend purchasing old vacs as this just adds a layer of difficulty to an already complicated "assembly" to stay polite. I agree with regard to the plans. They are excellent!

How about this? I build night fighters almost exclusively. I've built four HPH kits and haven seven in the stash! I like everything the make! So how about convert the HPH into a F7F-4N. It looks like all I have to do cut, makes a canopy for the radar operator. It looks like the HPH has everything else. I need you to tell me if the is good!

Edited by bevelduc

. It looks like all I have to do cut, makes a canopy for the radar operator. It looks like the HPH has everything else. I need you to tell me if the is good!

I would say it's pretty much that simple yes, there are a few subtleties I wish I could recall, but things like the rear 'hump' after the canopy & where it meets the fuselage are slightly different, but hardly noticeable

see here: top: is a two seater - it might be worth watching for sigle seaters converted to 2 seaters but I think this one is genuine..bottom: F7F3P in Pensacola

TCat_zpstiyhnu15.jpg

period shot:

TCat2_zpslbi3welz.jpg

recent shot:

TCat3_zpsqzhrote9.jpg

period 3N shot

TCat4_zpsikcvn3jc.jpg

either way the HpH kit has more than enough to do a 3N without major surgery...

HTH

Peter

Edited by airscale

Nobody will release such a conversion! Keep in mind Hph is happy when they sell hundreds of a kit. To give you an example:I just got a Sea Hornet with Hornet parts (to make a Mk20). Where as the kits have been released years ago, the Sea Hornet has the number 65 whereas the Hornet is number 199. I hope they will sell more Tigercats but I think you get the picture! This means that the possible market is limited to some die hard modelers. I think that we do not consider twenty people... :-(