1/18 Fairey Firefly VX376

airscale

hamfists nz, on 14 Oct 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:snapback.png

Are we doing cowls open this time? 

Ah no, no cowls open - it really would add another 6 months to the build as I know what I am like and would spend at least that on the engine  :)

--

Seem to have planted a bug right there. ;-))

Or more probable, many of us have the same idea where Peters talents should be applicated in the future! —— Imagine a Merlin engine in 18th scale fitted with all those PE-goodies, or eben better, a radial engine with all the cylinder cooling ribs represented through stacked PE-parts. B)  

Okay, okay, I'm gonna shut up now about those darn engines. ;-)

And the speed of things taking shape here is absolutely outrageous (just sayin')!

J.

Edited by BlackCanopy

hamfists nz, on 14 Oct 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:snapback.png

Ah no, no cowls open - it really would add another 6 months to the build as I know what I am like and would spend at least that on the engine  :)

--

Seem to have planted a bug right there. ;-))

Or more probable, many of us have the same idea where Peters talents should be applicated in the future! —— Imagine a Merlin engine in 18th scale fitted with all those PE-goodies, or eben better, a radial engine with all the cylinder cooling ribs represented through stacked PE-parts. B)  

Okay, okay, I'm gonna shut up now about those darn engines. ;-)

And the speed of things taking shape here is absolutely outrageous (just sayin')!

J.

http://www.scalemodelairplanekit.com/catalog/item/8273483/10209308.htm

woohoo! the postman just arrived :)

the folks at PPD are just brilliant - 3 days after ordering I have the PE...

WIP37_zps31cs8zta.jpg

WIP36_zps48chjfbi.jpg

WIP38_zps8dniwelk.jpg

WIP40_zpsapihwjoo.jpg

WIP39_zpszway9bjg.jpg

..and I have LOTS of sanding in my future today :)

WIP42_zpstlafwt43.jpg

WIP41_zpspsuy7nwv.jpg

..back later..

TTFN

Peter

Wery nice, Peter! What kind of metal do you use for this project? Is it brass or stainless steel? What thickness?

Thank you! 

evening folks :)

That PE is superb. What do you use to create the files Peter?

Thanks Radders - I use coreldraw on a monthly subscription - when I find the time I will do a little tutorial on making up the artwork & getting it done, it's really straightforward

Wow, magnificient! What's the material used for the PE? I see something like 0.2mm there....

And the progress on the fuselage is amazing.  :)

Wery nice, Peter! What kind of metal do you use for this project? Is it brass or stainless steel? What thickness?

Thank you! 

Thanks guys - the PE is Nickel Silver - it has the same properties as brass but when chipped after paintiung looks like aluminium so I prefer it. In fact I have been thinking about changing all airscale's PE into it...

so, I spent hours sanding, filing and generally shaping the fuselage - one lesson I learned the hard way is I should have been much more precise about getting all thise infil strips flush with the outside of the former. I just thought my home DIY sander would rip through it and so was very casual about how much stuck out & would need removing. That was a mistake - it took AGES to sand it all down, and then even longer to file them all flat so there was no bowing between formers. I just kept filing until the black lines on the former edges started to wear away then I knew I had the shape...

..I also could not make sense of the nose shapes so filled it with P38...

WIP44_zpsef8fdxah.jpg

..its not clear to see here, but the formers that define the chin intake must be slightly off as the side cowl panels tuck in a bit in keeping with the spinner profile so now I can see what the shape is and it is solid with filler, I can have a go at getting the shape right...

WIP43_zpse4da1xw2.jpg

also cut out the sub formers that the PE bulkheads will mount to - put some rough holes in these where there are also holes in the PE...

WIP45_zpslnxur3w1.jpg

..and the front one fitted - I will also use these to define where the skin should be and can refine the fuselage shape to meet them..

WIP48_zpsl6grda1r.jpg

..starting to take shape..

WIP46_zpspbho5anw.jpg

WIP47_zpsixzktxjf.jpg

WIP49_zpsc7n8ekdz.jpg

thats it for now...

TTFN
Peter

Thanks guys - the PE is Nickel Silver - it has the same properties as brass but when chipped after paintiung looks like aluminium so I prefer it. In fact I have been thinking about changing all airscale's PE into it...

It doesn't seem to tarnish as easily as brass too, and is a little stronger so doesn't distort so much. I'd say that was a good plan

Richard

Great progress already, Peter!

Just a word of warning from something I experienced with my Shackleton project... when you sand the P38 the friction heats the surface up enough to cause the plastic below to expand. When cooled, it then retracts but leaves 'ghost' outlines of the plastic strips which become visible after a day or two.

You then have to refill and the process starts all over again... The solution is to use gallons of cold water whilst you're sanding, and this then keeps the heat from any friction to an absolute minimum.

The smaller blemishes can easily be filled with Halfords' filler primer too - this has worked wonders for me in the past.

Looking forward to more.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert