First pics of the Revell P-51D

Guest DeanKB

I think the propeller also went round and round! :doh:

Yet another "fact" that needs correcting, I'm afraid.

The propeller actually went round and round and round.

Easy mistake to happen. The extra round was added to the "D" after the "B", mainly in the factory - but some very early D's apparently had a field modification fitted.

But American Mustangs were rumoured to have props that went around and around and around. As it was a British ordered aeroplane, powered by a British designed engine, the Americans wanted something in it that was American, besides the pilot. 

Ahh yes, of course, thanks for the correction.

Nobody has mentioned yet that the underwing locked splidget  was removed from the early 'D' model after experiments found it didn't help any.   

I hope Revell have noted this and acted upon it.

Guest DeanKB

Only the British ones went round and round (and round).  American ones went around and around and around. 

Um - what, exactly as I said in the post before yours?

Anyone know if the fillet-less D models served to the end of the war or were they replaced by later versions (or retrofitted with the fillet)?

Did these aircraft have the tail warning radar installed?

Hope to see some decent decal selections offered from the aftermarket, this version has been somewhat neglected.

Guest DeanKB

Anyone know if the fillet-less D models served to the end of the war or were they replaced by later versions (or retrofitted with the fillet)?

Did these aircraft have the tail warning radar installed?

Hope to see some decent decal selections offered from the aftermarket, this version has been somewhat neglected.

The find was factory fitted from the -10 block and retrofitted to earlier aircraft, including some B/C aircraft.

I'd imagine a relatively few aircraft managed to escape the retrofit?

The AN/APS-13 radar was fitted from very late 1944 onwards - maybe from -25NA forward?

Not sure the P-51D has been neglected in the decal market? I've seen dozens.

With regard to decals, I meant that the early fillet-less variant has been a bit neglected. Or maybe I just haven't seen the decals?

So by end of war, were any fillet-less Mustangs still in action or had they all been replaced / retrofitted?

Did the tail warning radar get retrofitted to earlier models?

Edited by John Irwin
Guest DeanKB

With regard to decals, I meant that the early fillet-less variant has been a bit neglected. Or maybe I just haven't seen the decals?

So by end of war, were any fillet-less Mustangs still in action or had they all been replaced / retrofitted?

Did the tail warning radar get retrofitted to earlier models?

In theory, they should all have been retrofitted with the fillet, but I'm sure a relatively few managed to avoid it - photo's will tell of late war Mustangs with no fillet.

The tail radar generally was not retrofitted as a matter of course. What's more, many that had them factory fitted had them removed in the field, as the radar was not generally liked. Some pilots said it was a distraction and was set off by all sorts, besides enemy aircraft.

It'll all come down to individual research of the aircraft you model, I suppose.

Greetings All,

This looks like a really nice kit. Clearly it could supplant the Tamiya offering based on price alone. It really looks like a Mustang, right down to its stance. Wing and tail plane chords look very nice with good dihedral. I have reason to believe that the drawings of Mr. Charles Neely are involved in this. That is conjecture on my part but it is a strong conjecture. If in fact Mr. Neely's drawings were used, and if the manufacturer was capable of capturing the very elusive form of the forward nose in it's mold making process, this offering is a big winner at a good price. I'm unable to comment on shape overall without being able to overlay the fuselage on a Neely drawing.

Issues:

1. Scoop, Batter Compartment

Found on the lower section of the

left side of the nose, just forward and

And slightly above the LEX.

This does not belong on a D5. The

Battery was located in the flight

compartment for the D5/10/15 build

build cycles. Simple problem to remedy

With a bit of sanding.

2. Fairing, Rudder Boost Linkage:

Located on the right side of the

Vertical Stabilizer. It could be my

eyes, or an aberration in the photo,

But it looks like they put it on the

left. Look at the photos and check me.

Easily removed if this is the case.

Might be a bit of a bugger to rebuild

On the other side.

I'm not attempting to detract from this offering. It looks really really nice.

Someone asked if this can be converted into a B. I say it most certainly can be converted. This is not to say that it wouldn't take considerable work to do so. In reality, the two airplanes are completely different. However, by combining the AFT section of the old Revell kit, and using the Revell B Wing, which is very nicely done, converting this to a reasonable facsimile of a B version is not out of reach. I have a thread here someplace which shows how to make the conversion.

There is a height difference between the B and the D firewall of approximately 0.5625 inches. In scale that gives a Delta of approximately 0.0175. Hardly noticeable.

Whatever you decide to do. There will be absolutely no doubt what this is when it's built up.

Hope everyone is well...

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing