Jennings Heilig

First pics of the Revell P-51D

Two questions if I might. I am a jet guy, but who doesn't love the Mustang! As far as the canopy is concerned to display it open, as I understand it the end of the canopy frame should "touch" the top of the skin of the fuselage. I was wondering whats the best solution to achieve thus effect? File some of the fuselage canopy rail in a bit, Or is it more on the frame of the canopy itself? 

Also on the picture that Jennings has of the cockpit of the NASM P-51D, Is that the common color of teh seat bucket? looks like "bronze green? 

Thanks !!

Here are some pictures of the cockpit floor. The black anti-slip mats are riveted to the metal sheet. I presume that on some planes that "Linoleum"-type material was replaced with plywood covered with black anti-slip coating. In any case, if plywood was used, only that black area would be the extent of the "wooden" area, the rest was metal. 

HTH 

Radu 

P51Floor002.jpg

P51Floor005.jpg

Hi Radub,

In the interest of historical accuracy and discussion, your second and third sentences miss the mark a little bit.  The P-51D/K used 1/4" plywood as a standard floor covering and was covered with the black anti-slip coating per spec and all P-51D/K were delivered from the factory in such condition.  If you have access to the P-51D/K IPB, Dated 10 March 1945, Revised 31 May 1949, Figures 100 and 105 with an effectivity of ALL, you'll see that the flooring is in fact, plywood on top of those interior green metal supports.  I have verified this from the factory drawing for the p/n 106-53051 (Floor Assembly - Cockpit, Front, Intermediate, Left).  106-53051-6 is the p/n for the plywood flooring for the left side.  Snippets from the factory blueprints are provided below for your reference and discussion only.  I don't know where those photos you posted came from but they're not representative of production aircraft parts; they're most likely repairs or modifications.  106-53052 is the p/n for the right side intermediate flooring.

hgDBkk7.png

AYevvzf.png

D9JDcaK.png

Edited by Juggernut

Two questions if I might. I am a jet guy, but who doesn't love the Mustang! As far as the canopy is concerned to display it open, as I understand it the end of the canopy frame should "touch" the top of the skin of the fuselage. I was wondering whats the best solution to achieve thus effect? File some of the fuselage canopy rail in a bit, Or is it more on the frame of the canopy itself?

Also on the picture that Jennings has of the cockpit of the NASM P-51D, Is that the common color of teh seat bucket? looks like "bronze green?

Thanks !!

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the canopy just yet. This was a test shot with no instructions.

Many seats and other components were Dull Dark Green.

Thanks !!

Hey boom       :hi:

None of the canopy 'touched' the fuselage. It was on a track that

tapered outward from the front as the canopy opened.

canopygaprear.jpg

Picture1-24.png

Here's another interesting pic I found while rummaging around in my Mustang folder

P-51_Cockpit_Floor.jpg

:shrug: :huh:

Nice pic above! That’s the look I’ll be trying to replicate. Still find the very different green coatings to be interesting. Did the real thing have both these interior colors?

http://www.mustang.gaetanmarie.com/profiles/skybouncer/e2-a2.jpg%22%5D"]http://www.mustang.gaetanmarie.com/profiles/skybouncer/e2-a2.jpg"

Collin

My vote for attention from the decal folks is “Sky Bouncerâ€. What a pretty plane. Is it me or are the upper wings half green, half nmf?

Edited by John Irwin

None of the canopy 'touched' the fuselage. It was on a track that

tapered outward from the front as the canopy opened.

Picture1-24.png

The track did not "taper". The canopy rolled on three rails, two rails on top of each cockpit sill and one central rack at the back. The cockpit sills tapered but the rails did not. All tracks were aligned and parallel when viewed from above. You can see that the two rails on the cockpit sills are parallel even though the fuselage tapers, that is why you see that " tapering wedge" of cockpit sill between the rail and the fuselage skin. 

It would be close to impossible to get a kit canopy to "sit right" out of the box in scale 1/32 and absolutely impossible to do so in smaller scales. On the real thing, the "skin" at the bottom of the canopy was about 5 mm wide, so it overlapped the fuselage easily. In scale, the canopy has to have a minimum thickness of 0.7 mm to cast properly (but it is often thicker, depending on shape), and that means 22.4 mm when scaled to scale 1:1. For that reason, the canopy cannot drop over the fuselage skin, the material gets in the way - you will need to sand away some of the canopy interior. By the way, you can get that "draped/dropped canopy look" very easily if you use a vacuum-formed canopy, which has a thinner material. In any case, on the Revell kit a "chunk" of material was removed (you can see it in some of the parts photos already posted) from the inside of the canopy bottom, BUT that will allow the canopy to drop over the fuselage ONLY when the canopy is fully open all the way to the end of the rear rail - you can see that Brett did not place the canopy all the way back, but rather his canopy is only about 3/4 of the way open. 

Having said that, you may still need to sand the inside of the bottom of the canopy frame to get the best fit - as I said, you can only go so thin for the plastic to flow into the mould. 

So... breathe in count to five, breathe out count to five, the canopy is "salvageable."  :lol:  :D  

HTH 

Radu 

Later edit: here is a photo posted on IPMS Deutschland. Note the "wedge" cut at the bottom of the canopy. 

Rev_P-51D_57.jpg

Edited by Radub

Ah, I've forgot there's a thread about this one.

Today at Modell-bau messe in Vienna:

37260084494_7f46c6bf95_b.jpg

I've put some pictures also here: 

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=52436&p=978325

Juraj

Edited by Trak-Tor