Jennings Heilig

First pics of the Revell P-51D

Guest Martinnfb

The boxart is sooooooo nice !  I wonder you's the author Mr. Friedl ir Mr. Velc ?

22449765_2366897773535516_32919624254107

Okay, I take back everything I said. There were THOUSANDS of fillet-less P-51D-5s in the ETO. GIGANTONORMOUS numbers of them, and compared to the later ones (which you almost never see any photos of), the choices of color schemes are limitless.

There ya go...

can't we all just be happy for a new, affordable, mustang kit....ck

I'm happy, that's fer dang sure.  The filletless bird is my favorite anyhow.  No complaints here.  I'm sure others here have the same preference.  Good to see Revell doing an early dash 5, filling a large void area, Tamiya and the other companies have the later production blocks covered already.  Smart move.

Best regards

Patrick

Good to see Revell doing an early dash 5, filling a large void area, Tamiya and the other companies have the later production blocks covered already.  Smart move.

The fillet-less tail and other D-5 parts are also included with the standard Tamiya P-51D kit. 

HTH,

D

And then I can paint it insignia blue over the upper surface....

Now I will sit back and wait for the inevitable debate!

Mark Proulx

Didn't take long tee hee

Yellow looks cool and is what the eye sees in the pics, but blue is what the documentation and other pics show

Is that an accurate summary?

Did the modified D-5's look any different than the later versions the factory installed fillet?   Any pics that show what the "swayback" fillet looked like?  I didn't get anything on a quick net search. 

Click on Fundekals "Daddy´s Girl" decal instructions on their site and there is another pic.

Edit: Ooops, late to the party..

For those that are interested, I think you can do three out of the Bottisham four unless that bottom one is a 51B/C, then you'd only be able to do two.

I am not entirely sure but I seem to remember, from other photos of them, that the fourth is indeed a B/C P-51?

Edited by Paramedic

Well, it looks fabulous, and will clearly make a lot of people happy. For me, I'll have to wait until they release the later production versions with all the changes included. All the ones I have in mind to build are RAF or other post-war air forces. Thinking especially of doing one of each of the post-war RCAF Mustang units. And with the 303 Squadron Mustang book coming out, who knows...a diorama with two or three on a hardstand...

Tantalizing though..."Frenesi" was always one I'd like to do. I will probably not be able to resist at least one.

Richard

Okay, I take back everything I said. There were THOUSANDS of fillet-less P-51D-5s in the ETO. GIGANTONORMOUS numbers of them, and compared to the later ones (which you almost never see any photos of), the choices of color schemes are limitless.

There ya go...

I'm sure there were a ginormous number of these, just need to keep in mind that apparently most were only in that configuration for a month or two before being modified. Regardless, I'm really excited about this kit. Hope barracuda doesn't run low on their cockpit / IP upgrades.

So for the Mustangs in partial green camo, were they delivered in overall OD/grey and later stripped down to mostly bare metal or delivered in NMF and just given a quick partial coating of green? If the latter, was it US spec OD or a British paint?

Or is this opening up a big fan of worms?

Edited by John Irwin

Well, it looks fabulous, and will clearly make a lot of people happy. For me, I'll have to wait until they release the later production versions with all the changes included. All the ones I have in mind to build are RAF or other post-war air forces. Thinking especially of doing one of each of the post-war RCAF Mustang units. And with the 303 Squadron Mustang book coming out, who knows...a diorama with two or three on a hardstand...

Tantalizing though..."Frenesi" was always one I'd like to do. I will probably not be able to resist at least one.

Richard

What 303 book is that? :)

I have Kagero´s Mustang-decals for those Polish ones, highly recommended if you can find them....

So for the Mustangs in partial green camo, were they delivered in overall OD/grey and later stripped down to mostly bare metal or delivered in NMF and just given a quick partial coating of green?

All P-51Ds were delivered in natural metal with silver wings.

If the later, was it US spec OD or a British paint?

Yes.

HTH,

D

All P-51Ds were delivered in natural metal with silver wings.

That's interesting because some of these aircraft look to have a factory spec OD / Grey paintjob  (Desert Rat featured a few pages back is a good example).   Surprising that they would have gone to the trouble of painting the entire aircraft once it was deployed in England.   Speaking of Desert Rat, if anyone is building her, note the high gloss finish in both of those pics.  Don't know whether she was painted with glossy paint or if the hardworking groundcrew waxed her but it's very noticeable.   Wonder if it was just limited to the wings, maybe to maintain good laminar flow vrs a flat paint?