'Grace' type two-seat Spitfire in 1:32

Iain

Thanks guys - support really appreciated! :)

Since last post things have moved on a little.

Ignition leads on the Merlin are all done and I'm now working on the cowling frames.

Windshield is bonded in place and ready to mask - so we *may* get primer on at the weekend - I suspect that will throw up some areas for rectification - most likely around the canopy rails.

Photos at the weekend.

Iain

Primer on - and progress made...

48b427_e467f3e7a16b4ceb892b09865adcb249~

Initial rub-down with 2000 grit wet and dry - so looking a bit dusty!

Overall though - a few areas were I need to re-scribe - but the 'cut and shut' on the fuselage isn't obvious at all.

48b427_74a55c86054d4a77b251947167be1b6d~

Decided to add the tunnel glazing after the paint.

48b427_99656e17528d4a4a85e1e9d8b1f4e44a~

Ignition leads added - lower leads already attached to the tubular conduit (stainless steel tubing) - upper leads need a conduit making and then cutting back.

Also started on the cowl framing - here loosely placed in position:

48b427_b9bdaa889c0342029c89d48ca8f5715e~

The material used for ignition wires is a fine beading wire I found in a craft shop. Multi-stranded it looks good when used for plug wires - but comes sheathed in a clear plastic outer...

48b427_be26ddb87090435c911615e61301a3b4~

48b427_bc81939abe8b4c828767988f359a355b~

Whatever I tried I couldn't remove the plastic coating - until I had a eureka moment and cut 24 over-length leads for the Merlin.

Holding the end of one lead at a time in a pair of tweezers, I set light to the other end with a match - the plastic burning back along it's length like a fuse leaving just the core strands of metal, suitably distressed!

Nice when a 'plan' comes together!  ;)

Iain

16 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

The material used for ignition wires is a fine beading wire I found in a craft shop. Multi-stranded it looks good when used for plug wires - but comes sheathed in a clear plastic outer...

Whatever I tried I couldn't remove the plastic coating - until I had a eureka moment and cut 24 over-length leads for the Merlin.

Holding the end of one lead at a time in a pair of tweezers, I set light to the other end with a match - the plastic burning back along it's length like a fuse leaving just the core strands of metal, suitably distressed!

Nice when a 'plan' comes together!  ;)

Iain

Likes it

Cheers

Dennis

6 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

And I'm glad you pointed out the odd finish was thanks to sanding, I was dreading that it would be panel shading. I'd hate to see such an amazing build ruined like that!

Nah, not my style Zac!  :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking in everyone - should be some more progress over the weekend.

Iain