'Grace' type two-seat Spitfire in 1:32

Iain

100% agreed. That to me is the bane of the commission builder.   I almost never share my commission builds as they are mostly straight forward and almost always not something I'm super passionate about.  

However.............

I have to say its down to the modeler and his tendencies. If you are a perfectionist, even if perfection is not required by the client, those types of builds still put undue stress on, as when you are a perfectionist, its near impossible to shut that instinct off, and let "good enough" be good enough. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Years on, I have just joined the group. I am also starting a build converting the Tamiya Spitfire IX into a two seat version. I am having a flight in the Grace Spitfire ML407 in May and I would like to build myself a replica. I have been building models for over 50 years so the actual conversion, scratch building etc. is no problem. I have found Ian's articles on his conversion very useful. I notice that he says he may be able to supply copies of his rear canopy and tunnel mouldings. If you are still there, Ian, I would really like to buy a set if possible. That would save me a ton of work.

Cheers, guys

Hi Steve,

No promises - but I'll get some more clear PETG sheet and see if I can pull off some more nice clear vacs.

Still have the patterns somewhere - so providing I can get some vacs I'm happy with, then, in theory, yes - but I'll get back to you if that's OK?

Iain

1 hour ago, Iain said:

Hi Steve,

No promises - but I'll get some more clear PETG sheet and see if I can pull off some more nice clear vacs.

Still have the patterns somewhere - so providing I can get some vacs I'm happy with, then, in theory, yes - but I'll get back to you if that's OK?

Iain

Hi Iain

Thank you! I have sent an e-mail to your website giving a little more info so you have my e-mail address if you need it. As I say, I have been building models for over 50 years so cutting, shutting and scratch building hold no fears. I was planning to use another front canopy on the back. As my model will have both canopies fixed open, I was hoping the shortage would not be that obvious. In any event, you need to be very familiar with the Grace/Melton conversion to know they are different. On May 15th, I shall be flying in ML407, so getting reference photos will be no problem! If you could manage to pull 2 or 3 tunnels and rear canopies for me I would be delighted. Your model is just spot on and mine should be also.

I will leave it in your capable hands!

Cheers Iain.

Hi Mike.

Pleased to be onboard. I have watched as a guest for a long while, but it was Iain's superb Grace/Melton Spitfire conversion that really got me interested. As you will have noticed, I am just ordering all the bits and pieces that I will need to build my own ML407, and this thread has been valuable to say the least.

I hope I will gain some other useful ideas and maybe post a few of my own in the future.

Cheers, Mike!