'Grace' type two-seat Spitfire in 1:32

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for lack of updates - manic few weeks.

Currently fettling the rear canopy master so that resulting moulding will fit properly - in both opened and close positions - so not a lot to show.

Hopefully something worth seeing later this weekend.

Blue skies,

Iain

After a lot more work I've pulled two new clear parts I'm happy with (new 'tunnel' section as well as blown rear canopy), that will hopefully fit - and importantly, fit together in the closed position.

But I'm shattered now - need to put it away for today - I'll try and post images next few days.

Iain

OK - I said I'd been beavering away on the canopies again...

My client wanted to be able to open and close the canopies - closed to get the beautiful shapes in flight, open to be able to see the cockpit details.

This was always going to be tricky with vac canopies and I had several concerns:

• Would the rear canopy moulding sit tight against the canopy rails - in both open and closed positions?
  • Would there be a good enough fit with the vacuum formed 'tunnel' section where they meet?

Well, after hours and hours of fiddling with patterns - I think we're there.

Excuse the sanding dust - images taken whilst dry fitting/sanding edges to fit. Oh - and this is a test dummy tunnel - longer than final part at the front.

Closed - note perfect alignment of rear canopy with canopy rails - and fit against tunnel (loosely placed - no gap when fitted):

48b427_2d3cdf38cc73447aa4cd638cb5aabf76~

Rear canopy open - again - perfect positioning on the canopy rails:

48b427_ebb59fcdd5cf4947a96f072224278d51~

And both canopies open:

48b427_974ea92de48e4c0193fe29d69f9a6adf~

I may trim the rear canopy down just a little more at the rear - but good progress I think...

Blue skies,

Iain

Thanks all - lots of frayed nerves - but on final roll now (hopefully!)

Going to try bonding some fine stainless rod to the insides of the rear canopy to see if I can get it to actually locate in the canopy rails - and make it 'slideable' whilst 'locking' any vertical movement.

I'll need to be in absolutely the right mood to get this right - and not damage the moulding...

Iain

18 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Thanks all - lots of frayed nerves - but on final roll now (hopefully!)

Going to try bonding some fine stainless rod to the insides of the rear canopy to see if I can get it to actually locate in the canopy rails - and make it 'slideable' whilst 'locking' any vertical movement.

I'll need to be in absolutely the right mood to get this right - and not damage the moulding...

Iain

Good luck Iain, although I am sure you don't actually need luck. The canopy fit you have achieved so far is brilliant and I think the idea to add the stainless rod will just add that extra star quality to an already stellar build.

If your canopy after the fitting of the rods is still a bit flexible, Dare I say you'll have to vac again in actual perspex?! I've done it, It's a lot more expensive and with the added benefit of being able to sand and polish.

Graham

2 hours ago, GrahamF said:

If your canopy after the fitting of the rods is still a bit flexible, Dare I say you'll have to vac again in actual perspex?! I've done it, It's a lot more expensive and with the added benefit of being able to sand and polish.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Flexibility not a problem - just want to try and locate it more positively in the vertical plane.

Iain